Chapter 44

"Okay, so the team flies out at 11, and we'll be right behind you guys at 1," My mom reminded Conrad and I again.

Brandon, even though he swears he's too old, was hanging out in Conrad's arms. He didn't like the fact that we were leaving him. He hated it actually.

"Okay mom, we get it."

"Really Aunt Dani we'll be fine," Conrad assured her," Besides, Parker is taking us to the airport and Coach isn't going to get on the plane until we're all on it."

In the past months my mom decided it would just be easier if Con and Bran started considering her an aunt. They were always here and she didn't feel comfortable with them just calling her Mrs. Smith. She said they were family so they might as well act like it.

"Okay, be safe you two," Conrad's mom begged.

Conrad told me this was the first time she'd let him fly alone, that she was aware of at least. He didn't really care because we were all going to be with the team. But apparently mom mode was kicking in for her.

"Yeah okay we have to go now," Conrad said pulling me out the door.

I waved to my family and ran out after Conrad. Parker was honking the horn of his Jeep, trying to hurry us up. I'm guessing he'd already put our bags in because they weren't were we left them.

"Get in losers, we're going to Nationals," Parker yelled with a massive smile.

Nationals. I'd waited my whole life for this opportunity. It's all I've ever wanted, besides playing in the NHL. I would've done anything to make it here.

When we got to the airport most of the team was already waiting in the terminal. Kyler was sleep on the floor, as were most of the boys. Coach was looking over stats and plays, trying to make sure we'd be ready for tomorrow. We had a lot of work to do. But we just might be able to make it happen.

An hour later we all boarded the plane, ready to go. The boys were buzzing, ready to get to Texas. It had been a long time since I'd seen them all this excited for something. It was a welcomed change.

"So, who are we playing first?" Conrad asked half way through the flight.

"A team from California. I don't know who exactly, Coach said we shouldn't have a problem with them," I shrugged," With the exception of me of course. Most of these guys we'll be playing probably won't care for a girl on the team."

"We've got your back," He promised.

I sure hope he was telling the truth. I needed them to have my back, I needed them to protect me. I would never admit that to any of them, but I needed them. I'd be a sitting duck if they weren't there to take care of things.

We landed not long after and went right to the hotel. Coach had already set an 11:00 curfew for us, but we still had a long time before then.

One of the Virginia teams had challenged us to a game of shinny in the hallway. Which coach wasn't too happy about that whole situation. Especially when the hotel staff came and threatened to remove all of us from the establishment.

We all said that would be one of those hockey stories that we'd have to tell our kids one day. We had way too many stories like that. We'd gotten tossed from a restaurant, a Walmart in New York, a couple hotels. We used to get in all types of trouble.

So, now we all sat in My hotel room, we'd gotten permission from coach to all be here, we wanted to all be together when the clock stricken twelve, and our first day of the tournament began.

I watched the numbers change and then raised my soda can," To Lighting, and to our family."

I wanted to say so much to all of them. But I'd wait till we were all done here. Till we had Natties under our belts, and till we could call ourselves the champions.

So for now, I'd just toast to us, and what we had right now.