Chapter 17

I stood next to Cooter, he'd decided to meet up with his dad. But didn't want to do it alone, thus the reason why I'm here.

" Are you sure you want me here?" I questioned," I mean he's your dad."

" Exactly why I want you here," Cooter replied.

I sighed looking up at him. I'd never seen him like this. His eyes looked like he'd just watched someone kill a puppy. They were sad and angry, almost terrified too. I wanted to help, but I knew I'd have the same look if my dad just showed up out of nowhere. Cooter grabbed my hand and held it tightly, almost scared that I'd leave too. I guess I understand that part. His jaw tightened as an older man started making his way over to us.

" Is that him?" I questioned.

I couldn't remember the last time I saw Cooters dad. But I could see the resemblance between the two of them. The only difference is the fact that cooter had his moms eyes. He hand my hand a little tighter and awkwardly shifted on his feet. The whole vibe was just full on awkward. The man, Cooter's dad, stopped in front of us.

" Son," he said.

" Dad,"Cooter muttered.

The look that Cooter gave his dad was cold, and filled with hurt. I wanted to help him so badly, but I knew there was nothing I could do.

" You must be Callahan am I right?" Mr. Bruner asked.

" Yes sir," after another five minutes of silence I offered for us to go sit and get some food," I'm starving, and Cooter is always hungry."

Cooter gave me an almost angry look, but came with us anyway. I know it has to be awkward, but his dad doesn't seem that bad. Maybe a little harsh, and distant. But not a horrible monster like I'm sure mine is. We ended up going to a nice little Cafe type place. Nice and quaint, almost like one back home.

Conversation wasn't something that ended up happening though. We just sat quietly, and awkwardly. I have to admit I thought Cooter would yell at his dad, but instead he just sat there. His leg was bouncing up and down like it did when he was nervous on the bench. His hands were also balled up into fists resting on his thighs. Not to mention his jaw was still clinched.

I grabbed one of his hands in mine and gave him a little smile.

After a few more minutes he was the one the break the silence," I just want to know why," he said bitterly," Why'd you leave?"

"I'm gonna go get a smoothie," I said quickly before getting up. I could tell that this was on a one way street to disaster. Though from what I could tell, they were having a civilized conversation. I thought about how Cooter must have been like as a kid. He'd told me stories about him and his dad, pre-divorce, It wasn't till Cooter walked over to me that I'd snapped out of my day dream.

" C'mon we better get back before they send out a search party," he said with a hint of a smile.

I stood up from my seat and grabbed my smoothie and followed him out. It was still light out, I knew we didn't have to be back till eight. Cooter must have known too, because he didn't head straight back. He and I ended up walking all around talking about life and hockey of course.

" So what do you think will happen next year?" I questioned.

" A few of us have been contacted by a few NA teams, so I don't know," he replied," I mean, the draft is coming up soon and it'd be stupid not to take a spot, no matter what pick you are."

I know Mason said something about a team out on Missouri contacting him. Though he told me he wasn't ready for something like that. The NA is huge, it's so much bigger than what we're doing here. Almost everyone on the team has said they weren't ready, yet here's Cooter, saying he'd go in a heartbeat. He's the one I thought would have stayed no matter what. I mean after his dad left, he was all his mom had, and he two of them are actually really close. I didn't think he'd even consider leaving her.

" So if you got a spot, you'd take it?"I asked.

" I don't know, I mean I'd have to leave home and stuff," He shrugged," I mean it'd suck if I didn't go. But I'd really have to think about it."

The rest of the day the two of us just spent walking around and talking about random things. Just a normal day really. We started back for the hotel since the sun was starting to set. Once we reached the hotel, I tried to convince him that he didn't have to walk me up to my room. But he insisted on being a gentleman and walked me anyway. We didn't say much in the elevator, it was dead quiet actually.

" Thanks for today, it was fun," I said reaching my door.

" Any time smith," He laughed.

I looked up at his beautiful blue/grey eyes, he smiled down at me. Something about him just took my breath away. Things are crazy, just a year ago I'd never even consider him as anything. But now...

" I should go," He mumbled.

" We do have a curfew," I replied not much louder than a whisper. He leaned down and cupped my cheek. I drew in a deep breath, I knew he was going to kiss me. But did I really want him to? I'd always said that I'd never date a teammate. But here I was about to kiss one, for the second time. Could I be falling in love with Cooter?

I closed my eyes and our lips met. There wasn't anything bad about it. It was a gentle kiss, as if he was afraid he'd hurt me or something. His free and found my waist. I wrapped my arms around his neck,how could something I'd seen as so wrong for the longest time, feel this right?

We pulled apart after what felt like hours, but had only been a few seconds.

" I should go," I whispered with a smile on my face.

" Yeah, the guys will be wondering where I went," he replied.

I pulled my arms away and looked back up and him. He dropped his hand from my waist and kissed my cheek before walking away.

" Hey smith?" He questioned once he'd gotten half way down the hall.

" Yeah?"

" Goodnight," he said a smile tugging on his lips.

" Goodnight Coty."