Chapter 9

Christmas had come and gone. We were back to practice and games. Being back on the ice with the team was the best feeling. I wasn't THAT girl anymore, I was one of the guys. That's all I've ever wanted, to be their equal.

School on the other hand...

I always come with my hockey bag and sticks since I have practice after. I get so much crap for it. The queen bees in the school target me when the team isn't around, which is now.

Yeah I know, letting a group of plastics get the best of me. I can't fight then like I would on the ice. This is the real world.

I was getting my math book out of my locker. Or at least I think it was math. I don't know I just get the book and go to class.

Someone stopped right behind me. But judging on the heavy footsteps it was a guy. I glanced over my shoulder, all I could see was a little bit of hair. But it was a hockey player. No one else took that much pride in that much hair.

" Hey Cally." It was Cooter, I should have known. I turned around, his left hand was above my head and he was leaning on the locker next to mine.

" Hey Cootes. What's up?"

A smirk played oh his face. I watched as he played with his bit his lip before answering, " Well you see there's this game tonight. Anyway I happen to have an extra ticket and nobody to go with."

" Oh is that so?" I questioned raising my eyebrows.

" Yeah," he replied with the same smug smirk, " It would be a shame to see it go to waist. You know nice it's a Penguins game."

" Are you saying you want me to go with you?" I surprised myself at how calm I was being. Yeah on the ice in tough, but I'm a stuttering fool most of the time.

" You don't have to. But yeah, that'd be cool."

I pretened not to care that much, but on the inside I was screaming, " Yeah okay, pick me up at 5?"

" Sure, we could grab a bite," He shrugged, " See you tonight."

He walked away leaving me kinda breathless. Did he just ask me out?

I saw Lilly walking by so I grabbed her arm and pulled her into the music room.

" Cally, what's going on?"

I clumsily sat in one of the chairs and smiled, " I think he asked me out." I mumbled as if in a dream.

" HE DID!" She screamed jumping up and down.

I nodded and replyed it in my head, " Wait, that means going on a date with a team mate," I mumbled, " Nope forget it. I'm not going to be that girl."

There have only been two girls in the history of this team to ever date a team mate. What normally happens is, said boy, babies the girl. She hated it, either breaks up with him or quits the team. I'm not going to be one of those girls. I already get enough crap for being a girl hockey player!

" Just one date. You cannot turn down tickets to this game!"

I groaned and nodded, " You're right. It's just one game," the bell rung through out the school letting me and Lilly know we were utterly late," We are so gonna die."

The both of us took off running to chemistry I think. About half way there Cooter and Mason came running the other way.

" No time to talk, We're late," Cooter yelled pulling Mason. He runs really weird, I guess I never noticed. He's like an awkward runner.

" Stop looking at his butt, we gotta go!" Lilly grabbed my arm and yanked me down the hall.

" I wasn't looking at his butt Lilly." I argued.

" Say what you want, but he has a cute hockey player butt." She laughed.