Chapter 19

Coach only wanted us to go over film and gear up for the last round of games here. But the games in Canada as well. Parker, thank the lord, told me I would more than likely be able to play the back half of this week. But if I get hacked too bad I'm out. But I didn't hesitate to tell him that I'd be perfectly okay.

While I was waiting for the next game to start, Jared sent me a picture of someone skating at the rink, telling me he's done it.  When I asked who, he replied with Charlie. I automatically freaked out and called him.

" That's Charlie?" I questioned.

" The ice was empty after my practice and when I came out of the locker room, there he was!" He replied," Oh by the way, how are you holding up?"

" Well I'm not dead yet, so I'm doing good," I laughed.

" No conkie right?" He questioned knowing not to say the big 'C'

"Not yet little bro, I'm still in the clear. Oh and I get to play the back half of the week," I replied.

" Calli, you coming or not?" Mason questioned as the rest of the team was heading for the ice.

" Hey gotta go, the game is about to start," we said our goodbyes before I started to the ice with Coach and Parker.

Sitting on the bench while my whole team was playing a game was seriously hard. Because I was basically able bodied and yet, nothing.

" Cheer up Callahan, you'll be back out there soon," Kyler, one of our goalies said. He was the back up for this game, and would probably start the next one. Kyler was taken out of the game early last season due to a concussion.

" Yeah we'll see," I mumbled. Around that time, Cooter came skating by pretty fast after the puck, but I could've sworn I saw him wink at me.

" He really does care about you, you do know that right?" Kyler questioned.

"Now's not the time for relationship advice Ky," I replied," C'MON MASON DECK HIM!" I screamed at Mason who wasn't hitting the guy with the puck.

The game went slowly, we'd score and the other team would answer back. We just couldn't get the lead, even for a few minutes. Coach was screaming his head off, I swear he's a few choice words away from being thrown out.

" SOME ONE GET ME A ROLL OF TAPE! I NEED A F-ING ROLL OF TAPE!" He screamed. The boys and I tried not to lose it as Conner passed him the tape.

I looked over at Kyler and back at coach. He took the tape, and taped his mouth shut. Well that's one way of shutting yourself up. We were all trying our best not to lose it. But at this point it was inevitable.

Back on the ice, Mason took a hard hit into the boards, followed by a haymaker to the head. But of course, the ref didn't call it.

"C'mon ref! Didn't you just see him? He punched him, OPEN YOUR EYES!" I screamed," oh c'mon he's stupid."

The game, though quite frustrating, ended with a win in a SO, we got entirely too lucky. Coach, as always had more then something to say about how we played. I swear, New York has brought out the worst in him. But hey, it's stressful I understand that.

The hotel lobby was basically empty, which I loved. Mostly because it was quiet. I needed quiet after all of this craziness going on. All of the boys were in their rooms, getting well deserved rest after the events after the game. Coach had a nice little bag skate after the game. Apparently since they played like crap that was the only suitable thing to do.

My computer sat on my lap, and an open book next to me. I had a paper do when I'd get home. So I figured I'd get it done while I still could, before we get to Canada. According to what Parker said I'd be able to play by the time we got there. So having time to do any homework was basically out of the question.Music blasted though my headphones, blocking out any noises around me, making it raise to focus.My fingers sped across the key board. Typing quickly, I honestly just wanted to get this over with. The sooner I did, the quicker I could get back to my team. The sooner I could go play NHL15.

My laptop died by the time I was done. So I went back up to my room. I tried looking for the rest of the guys, but I soon found out they were all asleep. Coach and Parker had gone out god knows where, and I was left alone. I grabbed my stick off of the extra bed in my room, and a roll of tape. I started stripping my tape off of my stick and re-taping it. After I finished taping, I grabbed wax out of the fridge and did my thing.

Not too long after the boys were knocking on my door, wanting to go out for pizza, like they can't get it on their own. But apparently the only way coach would let them, is if I went too. I guess he thinks I'll keep them out of trouble, as if. I'm probably the one that will encourage it. While people would call it mayhem, I call it team bonding.

The sixteen of us ran down the street with four boxes of pizza, trying to dodge another team as we went. We ran into the Badgers they're another team from our area that hates us, more than anything. So when they spotted us, needless to say we started running.

"Cooter! Keep up!" I laughed grabbing his hand pulling him behind me.

" They're catching us," Mason yelled from the front of the pack.

" Coach, is gonna kill us, we're so dead!" I pulled Cooter into a side ally and prayed they wouldn't see us.

" What was that for?"He questioned, but he seemed to already know the answer and kissed me. I smiled and wrapped my arms around him, just one little moment of peace. In this insanity, it's hard to do.

" How'd the paper end up?" He asked me.

" You're really asking me about my stupid paper? I still have a week to finish it,"

He let out a laugh and grabbed my hand," C'mon, the team's gonna become a search party before too long."

The two of us walked down the now quiet streets hand and hand. For once in my life, I felt like a normal girl in a relationship with a normal guy. We weren't too hockey players fighting for spots on teams that probably weren't even looking at us. We didn't have so much to worry about for once in our lives, we were just us. We were just kids, that were almost in love.

" Why didn't we try this sooner Calli?"

" Because you were a dick, that's why," I replied," Besides, I think we had to wait for the box to work it's magic."

He laughed and looked up at the stars," Who would have guessed that something good would come out of that stupid box?"

But I knew, deep inside that the box was always good for me. It taught me a lesson I wouldn't have learned others wise. And though it, I gained something I wouldn't have without it, a real team. Real friends, and an actual shot at hockey.

" It wasn't the box Cooter. It was us, we grew up. Finally."