Chapter 23

Settling back in wasn't hard. My mom made my favorite comfort food of all time, her home made pancakes along with some pretty great bacon. Eating home cooked food, even if it was junk, was amazing in itself. But being back in my own bed was even better.

However, I stared missing my boys. After two weeks of seeing one or more of them every time I turned around, I was kinda lonely. But the fact that Jared was always up for a game of Shinny made it a bit better.

But today was by far the worst. Since I'd broken another stick, which was my backup and last stick, Charlie had to take me to get another one. God knows I've spent more time and money in the pro-shop at the rink.

I picked up another stick and put some weight on it to test the flex. They didn't have the same stick that I've been using, but I'm for trying some new ones. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Charlie tense beside me.

"What Charlie, you don't like the stick?" I questioned laughing.

"We should go," he said through clenched teeth.

"Why? I haven't even found a stick yet," I said returning the stick in my hand to the rack.

"He's here Cal," He clarified," With one of our...brothers."

I then understand what he meant. Anger ripped through my body. I wanted to desperately to go over there and give him a taste of my right hook. I clenched my fists so hard my knuckles turned white. I felt Charlie grab my arm and start to lead me out of the shop.

"No Charlie," I protested, regaining composure," This is our town. He's the one that left. I'm not letting him chase me away. Besides, he's the one that didn't we to be our dad. Why should be be running from a man who didn't want us?"

I walked back to the stick rack and grabbed another before trying it out as well. I decided I liked the feel, and the flex enough to go try it on the little mini rink they had just for that purpose. Just a couple of feet of roller flooring and a net, but that's all any of us ever needed.

I grabbed a puck out of the bucket and dropped it next to me. I bent down, pulled back, and brought the stick down towards the puck as hard as I could. I looked at the spread reader next to the goal, that puck was pushing seventy miles an hour. Last time I checked I was only at sixty. I smiled and looked back at Charlie.

"Hey Charlie," I called," my slap shot's gotten stronger, that's why I'm breaking so many sticks."

"Oh yeah?" He smiled waking towards me,"What'd you clock?"

"Close to seventy five. Guess I'll have to thank Cooter for making me hit the gym more."

I walked off the mini rink grabbed one more of the stick. My wrist ached now that I actually used it. Parker told me I still needed to take it easy, but the seasons almost over, no time for easy. I shook out my hand to get my wrist moving and put the two sticks on the counter.

"Callahan I swear to god," Connor laughed," You're the reason I still have a job."

"No I'm the reason your boss should make a loyalty program," I stated.

He nodded in agreement and rung up the sticks. Charlie paid with the money mom has given us for this very reason. I told Charlie to go wait out in the car while I talked to Connor for a while. He'd gotten dropped back to second line as a way to get Mason, Cooter, and I all together. He was surprisingly okay with it though, but then again he's always been chill like that. He was the type of guy who would do whatever he could for the good of the team and never question it.

"Alright I gotta go," I said seeing my father starting to make his up here" I'll see you at practice tomorrow."

"Later Cal," he yelled as I walked out.

Charlie was leaning against the hood of the car, on this phone no doubt talking to Parker. The two of them were arguing about something hockey related, which didn't surprise me. I hopped into the the front seat and fed my new sticks into the back, being careful not to ding them. After a few minutes Charlie got into the drivers seat and started up the car.

"What? Are you loosing fantasy hockey?" I questioned.

"I love you Cals but shut up," He said staring the car. I couldn't help but smile, I missed having him around all the time.