Chapter 4

" Alright, training starts now." Mason's voice echoed through the otherwise empty ice rink. It was like 5 am on a Saturday, he had somehow managed to get rink time, this early. This idiot had connections and used Lilly, his sister, to get me here.

Yep, Lilly the ponytail player. She plays hockey for a reason you know.

I personally don't see the point in this. I'm a lost cause, let's be honest. I can't play like a normal person.

" Mason, what's the point in all of this?" I questioned. He just smiled and skated to center ice.

" Just shut up and skate." He laughed " ten laps." I groaned and took off around the rink. All Mason did was blow his whistle and yell faster. If I stopped he'd add another five laps onto my total. I really don't want to, but I'll hate Mason by the end of the month. If I last that long.

"Again" he blew his whistle signaling for me to do another suicide.

I had done at least fifty by now and my legs were jello. Even breathing was hard, I think he's going all miracle on me.

" I can't Josh." I coughed, finding talking even hard to do.

" Wow, you're using my first name. It must be bad." He laughed " Okay, take a brake."

Hearing that I fell on the ice in an attempt to catch my breath. I'm pretty sure any and all air had been expelled from my lungs about thirty suicides ago.

" Joshua, you're going to kill the poor girl? And for what exactly?" Lilly questioned.

Lilly I praise you! I'd like to know why he's trying to kill me too!

" He's trying to help ponytail."

Oh god, someone shoot me! I really don't have it in me to deal with him!

I knew someone has skated over to me, but I legit didn't have it in me to look up.

" Alright let's get you up." two strong hands grabbed my arms. I felt myself being lifted back into my feet, if I could have I would've shoved him off. But you know, you take what you can get.

" Cooter, let me go." I managed to shove him off and skate to the bench. I leaned over to grab my water bottle.

" C'mon Smith, let me help." Cooter sighed.

" Don't touch me!" I yelled " you're the reason I'm here in the first place!" I my hands were even shaking, I couldn't steady my stick.

I started skating off to the door, I'm done, I can't do any more. I stormed off into the lockeroom, slamming the door shut behind me. I'm done, I give up.

I threw my stick at the wall, my helmet and gloves following closely behind.

I dint even bother to shower, I just threw my gear in my bag and put on my sweats.

Cooter and Mason were wrestling on the ice like idiots. 

For once, Cooter didn't look like a douche or a tool.  He looked like a teenage boy who loved what he did. 

He, like so many other hockey players, had some flow. But his was well kept, fell half way down his neck. So his chestnut brown hair  was just an inch or two above his shoulders. But it was long enough that it had some wave to it. He was surprisingly tan, and had a great smile, and his eyes. They were like a grey, but a more blue grey. 

" Checking out the man candy." Lilly laughed, " Either it's my brother or Cooter."

" Just looking Lilly. Don't think anything of it, they're still cave men in my mind." I laughed. 

" Says the one who plays with them." She mumbled " For the record, Cooter thinks you pretty cute." 

I shook my head and walked away. Those boys are cavemen, barbarians. I wouldn't go on a date with one of them, sure they have great hair. Who  am I kidding, Mason's hair is better than mine. 

But they're still hockey players, one way on the ice, one way off. Truthfully, dating one wouldn't be bad. But one on my team, no thank you. That's just a recipe for disaster. No one dates someone on their team, it's like an unspoken rule. 

Just like what you say on the ice stays there. It's.. I just... I can't do this now. 

Hockey first, boys later. That's how it's always been, and right now it needs to stay that way.