Chapter 46

I laughed and threw popcorn at Kyler. All of us were hanging out in my room again, this time watching a movie. I wanted to spend as much time with these guys, and apparently they thought the same way. All of us had been together all day, after the game ended we all went out and explored Dallas, and then we all got dinner. Now we're all here.

After ten years of playing together, I guess none of us were quite ready for this. After this, we were all done. When we get back home, we only have two months till we graduate. Then we'll all go our separate ways.

"Why are people in movies always so stupid?" Connor questioned.

"Because it's a movie you idiot," Jonesy stated.

"How do you guys think we'll do tomorrow?" Travis asked.

"So long as we keep playing our game, we'll be fine," Conrad replied," Besides, we've got the upper hand."

"And how is that, little brother?" I questioned.

"Well for starters everyone expects us to suck," he replied," And we have you."

"Suck up," Connor coughed.

It didn't take long for all of us to start chucking popcorn at each other. Pillows went flying, and our annual hotel fight began. We all ended up running around the hotel, and causing more trouble than we should've. But this was our last go, a little trouble was called for.

"Shoot! Coach! Hide!"

A couple of us took off towards the stairs and hid under the first fight. I could hear the other boys yelling and running down the stairs or outside in the hall. Good thing this was the last time we'd be here as a team, because we'd never be allowed back after this.

"Are you ready for tomorrow?" Conrad asked me.

I shrugged," I guess. Just another game right?"

"Sure, semi finals, just another game," he said sarcastically.

"We'll be okay Cons, we got this."

"Cal, I want to thank you. For being so cool with all of this. You could've made my life hell," He admitted.

"Oh shut up you sap," I laughed pushing his shoulder," We should focus on the game tomorrow, there'll be time for all the sentential stuff after we're done here."

"You're right," he laughed.

"Oh...I did forget to tell you though, I got an acceptance letter from Boston University," I said casually," They want me to play hockey."

"Callahan that's awesome!" He exclaimed.

"What about you little bro?"

"Minnesota and Wisconsin," He shrugged," Both invited me to try out for the hockey team."

" Midwest better watch out, if a Smith is coming their way then they have no idea what's coming," I laughed.

****

"If you can shoot blocker side, you'll probably get it. He's slow there," I pointed out," Or just crash and get him moving."

"When did you get so good at this?" Kyler questioned," This whole coaching thing?"

I shrugged and looked over at Coach, he had the whole proud look on his face. He'd taken all of us through the game since Peewee, we had been babies. He'd watched as all grow, and he'd carried us here. Now he was watching us complete a dream that was over ten years old.

"Five more minutes boys," I said," Five more and then Championships."

"Lightning forever," Travis stated.

"Lighting forever," we all agreed.

The huddle broke and it was game on. The last five minutes would no doubt be some of the worst. We were only up by two, so our win wasn't exactly secure.

I clutched my stick so hard I knew my knuckles were white, I was ready. I could feel it, I needed it. I needed the win. I had to keep our promise. I pushed harder, made my legs move faster.

I had the opportunity to absolutely deck one of the assholes who made a stupid comment about me, so I took it. His head was down, and he had the puck. I rammed him into the boards, his body went to the side and he fell over me.

"Get that hip check Cal!" Parker yelled from then bench.

I laughed, took the puck, and went on my way. Conner and Adam were already crashing down the sides for me, they were ready too. We were going to do it. I released a deep breath and passed the puck over to Conrad. I glanced up at the clock, we needed a line change.

"Con, change 'em up!" I yelled skating towards the bench.

I hopped the wall and watched second line go do their thing, and then third. The clock was ticking down. Our season was getting closer and closer to being over. We were almost over.

I took a deep breath and counted to three. I jumped the wall with my boys right behind me. Two minutes now. So close to victory, so close to being a part of Raleigh hockey history.

They would say the chemistry between all of us was unreal. The way we all move and worked together. They would say we were one in a million, and that Raleigh would never see another team like ours. They would say we changed the game of hockey in Raleigh forever.