Chapter 20

Our time in Lake Placid was nearing an end. Coach already made sure we all knew to be loaded up on the bus by 7 in the morning, not that any of us wanted to leave. The boys didn't want to go because the ice was nice, and apparently there were a bunch of hot girls here. I didn't want to leave because I'd dreamed of this place for so long. For me, this was all I ever wanted. To play in Lake Placid and walk the same streets as the Miracle team.

But after this we had Canada, and after Canada I'd finally be back home. Maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing, I'd be home with my family and it'd all work out. Jared told me his team was getting a little better, and they'd managed to actually win the past few games. He included the fact that the team had basically staged a mutiny, and Charlie was now the coach. And I'm sure Charlie absolutely loves it, not to mention he was to be better than the old coach. I hated that guy when he coached my team.

In front of me, part of my team was running down the street with Mason chasing them. Of course I noticed they had his phone... Again. It's about playing a prank on the Captian or something like that. The team really is stupid, but it all works out okay. I mean they're good on the ice and that's all that matters.

"Cally! A little help!" Mason yelled as he ran passed me.

" Nah man, your all on your own!" I replied laughing.

" So much for loyalty!"

" Love you Mason!" I yelled back at him as he disappeared down the street.

I looked back down at my book and smiled. Our team had become united in the past couple of weeks. No more fights, or cheep shots at practice. We were a proper team now.
Coach was more than happy of course, because now he didn't have to bench anymore. Or possibly kick someone off, like he almost did with me. Even though I didn't get my A back on my jersey, I was okay with it. I'd rather be a player and not an assistant captain anyway.

" Hey day dreamer," I looked up from my book and smiled at Cooter, who'd sat down next to me," Whatcha doing out here all alone?"

" Thinking about next year and the scouts, or lack thereof," I replied," And everything that's happened this year."

" You didn't hear the Boston guys talking about you," Cooter commented," or the prep schools. You're set, trust me Cally."

"Are you making some deal where you sell your soul so I can keep playing hockey after next year?" I questioned.

" Caught me red handed. The devil drives a heavy bargain. As do the guys in the NA," he laughed.

I shoved him lightly and started laughing. Then the reality set in, he mentioned the NA again. He knew I had no intentions on playing in the NA... But he did. I knew he did. It didn't matter if that meant he had to leave and move half way across the the country he'd do it for hockey.

"What'd your mom say when you told me about the scouts from, where was it? Wyoming?" I questioned.

" She told me it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. And that if I wanted to take it, that I should. But I don't know if I'm ready to leave home just yet," He replied," Hey by the way, did you ever read that letter from your dad?"

"Don't change the subject," I protested, but looking at his face caved and answered anyway,"No I didn't want to read anything from him. He made his choice."

I looked out at the families that were walking down the street. Little hockey players clung to their little sticks with one hand, and one of their parents with the other. They all had big smiles on their faces, not knowing what it was really like to play hockey yet. They didn't have to deal with stupid coaches or players yet, all they knew was ignorant bliss. Must be nice.

"I think I'm going to finish packing. I'll see you later," I mumbled getting up.

My head had started spinning, and my wrist ached when I put pressure on it, but there wasn't anything I could do about it. I was the one who decided to play hockey and not be a little ballerina. Maybe things would have been different had I not started to play hockey. Granted I wouldn't have my boys, but I wouldn't be hurt all the time either.

"Callahan wait," Cooter called out from behind me. I didn't turn around but I could hear him run to catch up with me," Hey wait Smith. Look I'm sorry okay, I shouldn't have asked. I should know by now that your dad is off limits."

"It doesn't matter okay. He's a deadbeat that doesn't even bother to call. Unlike yours apparently, who at least tried to make things right," I didn't know that I was angry, but I could hear it in my own voice," Just forget it okay, I'll see you later." 

My head spun as I walked back to my room. Part of me was extremely happy for Cooter, after all these years his dad came back, while the other half was jealous that after eight years my dad hasn't even tried to contact any of us once. The letter that I had from him he wrote before he left. But then again, if he were to show up now, I still wouldn't want anything to do with him, so it doesn't really matter anyway. 

As I was walking into the hotel I passed Coach,"Eh, Smith!" He called after me. 

"Yeah Coach what's up?" I questioned walking back towards him. 

"Can I talk to you for a minute?" He questioned. When I nodded he walked over to the  chairs and sat down, and waited for me to join him," It's almost the end of the season Callahan, have you thought about what you're going to do next year?"

"No sir. I still have two more years at home with my family and I plan on spending it with them," I replied," And after everything that happened earlier this season, I wasn't even sure if I was going to get a next year."

" Well, Callahan, your spot on the team is secured for next year if you still want it," He said casually. 

"You mean you still want me on your team, even after everything," I questioned honestly surprised. 

"I don't just want you on the team Callahan, I want you as my Captain, and I want you to help me pick the new guys coming up," He replied," I already talked to Mason, he has no interest on being Captain next year, and quite frankly he said you're better suited for the position. You have a way of getting those boys to listen to you, they respect you Callahan." 

"I'm not sure if I completely understand Coach," I mumbled in disbelief.

" You have a gift Callahan, you see people for who they are. Not to mention the fact that you know who's willing to work hard just by seeing them play once. You know who's the right fit for the team, after all you know all of these boys more than I could ever hope to. You know how they work, and how they think. I don't have an assistant coach, but I do have you Cally, and I intend on using your knowledge for as long as I can."

"You want me to help you coach?" I questioned still not able to wrap my head around all of it. 

" Yes Callahan, I don't just want you, I need you to help me," he replied with a slight laugh," So what do you say?" 

I smiled and said the most dangerous word to the human race," Okay."

And that was that, nothing more to be said, he smiled at me like a proud father and launched into Coach mode. He and I talked the rest of the day about how we wanted to build the team not on talent, but on the work ethic. We wanted to have a team that got along, and a team that could be great together, rather than being extraordinary on their own. He and I had already decided, that next year.... was going to be a stacked year.