Chapter 26

The party had died down, and surprisingly Cooter and I were both perfectly sober. Same couldn't be said for half of the team though, guess that's what happens when we have a by week.

"I um-" I couldn't think of the right thing to say," Thank you, for tonight. It actually want and too bad."

"Aside from my bone head comment," he replied," I'm sorry about that. It was stupid."

"Yeah it was," I replied trying to hide my smile.

He couldn't help but laugh. I loved hearing him laugh, it in itself was intoxicating. How had I, we gone from hating each other to this? As much as it didn't make sense, I didn't mind. All I knew was I somehow found myself always wanting to spend more time with him on and off the ice. I almost hated it, and yet I couldn't get enough of it.

"You should come over tomorrow,"I said when he pulled into the driveway,"Jared won't shut up about beating you in shinny again so, I mean if you're free."

He smiled and shook his head, just like he always did when he was trying not to laugh," I'll be over before twelve, sound good?"

I nodded and leaned over the consul to reach him. I kissed him quickly before opening the door, knowing my brothers were waiting on me.

"I have to tell you something real quick, and you have to promise not to freak out okay?" He questioned.

"You have my word," I replied getting worried that this was it. He was going to tell me he was moving, I knew he was.

"I think- no that's not right,"he mumbled," I love you Callahan. I'm in love with you and it scares the crap out of me, because I feel like I'm going to screw up like I always do. But I love you so, yeah."

I diverted my eyes from him, and instead looked dead ahead of me. My head started spinning that was not at all what I'd expected him to say. I wanted to say something, but words wouldn't come. I just sat there unable to do anything.

"C'mon Cals, say something. Hell I'd take anything right now," he laughed nervously.

Did I love him though? I mean did I really, love him. As much as I could sit here and deliberate it, weigh all the pros and cons, I'd come to the same conclusion.

"I love you too," I said looking over at him.

I don't think I'd ever seen him smile like that before. For the first time he looked like a kid, not the boy who was forced to grow up too fast. In front of us the porch light turned on, letting me now I was being watched.

"I should go, I'll see you tomorrow," I kissed him again before jumping out of the car.

Inside Charlie was sitting on the couch, no doubt waiting up for me." Have a good time?"

"Yeah- I um- we had a great time," I replied.

"You wanna talk about whatever it is that's making you all giddy looking?" He asked.

"Nope... Well maybe," I responded," He told me he loved me. Cooter, loves me."

"Yeah not my area of expertise. But if he hurts you he's dead," He mumbled getting up.

"Wait Char?" I stopped him before he could get up the steps," Thank you for coming back. Not just for Jared... But for me, I didn't- I didn't think I needed anyone to look after me, but turns out I do."

"I'm always going to have your back Callahan, no matter what type of trouble you get into," he assured me," I'm your brother, it's what I do."