Chapter 5

It was early December by this point. Mason is still bent in making me a proper hockey player. Though has still failed to do so.

" Smith, I need to talk to you." coach yelled from across the rink.

I made my way over to his office and took a seat.
I'm off the team, that has to be it. I don't know why else he'd call me in.

" I need you to suit up this weekend." he sighed.

My mouth hung slightly open, that was the last thing I thought he'd say.

" Smith, go suit up, practice in ten minutes."

But I couldn't move. In my mind, playing again right now is the worst thing! Cooter had decked me in training and I'd messed up my wrist again. It hurt to rotate it, and I knew I shouldn't play.

But I can't tell coach no, I'll never get back on the team if I do that.

I nodded and managed to get up. I still had all my gear in the lockeroom. I was dresses in five minutes. The other five I spent taping my wrist up. Let's hope it holds up this time.

I stepped out of the lockeroom and smiled. The sound of blades cutting through the freshly zammed ice filled my ears.

The sound of sticks slamming against pucks rang loudly in the small space. I always loved that sound. The ting of a puck hitting the post would ring every once and a while.

" Well don't just stand there Smith." I turned around to look at Mason. He smiled and winked before slipping his helmet on and joining the team.

I followed closely behind. Though I had been on this ice almost everyday for a month, today feel different. Maybe it's because I'm with my team again.

*************************

I walked out of the lockeroom and heaved my bag into my shoulder. I swear it's gotten heavier.

" Need some help Callahan?" Surprisingly, it was Cooter. I nodded slightly, he was soon walking next to me with my bad over his shoulder.

" Thanks." I mumbled. He has offered to wait till my mom got here too. I told him he didn't have to babysit me since I'm not a child. But he insisted, by now I know not to fight with him.

" So I know I kinda harassed you for a whole year." Aww cooter you sound nervous, wait why are you nervous? " But there's the Christmas dance coming up. I know it's lame but."

" You mean the one that the team always does. Where the guys get dates with the ponytails?" I questioned.

" Yeah, I mean I know the food sucks and coach has the worst taste in music. But I thought maybe you'd might want to go with me?" He asked rather nervously " I-if you don't you know already have a. A um date."

I smiled and let out the smallest little laugh. My mom pulled up not far from us and honked.

" Cooter?" my mom honked at me again. Geeez hold on mom! " I'd love to go. Friday at 8!"

I grabbed my bag and threw it into the back of moms car before sliding into the front seat.

" That good huh?" Mom asked.

" I think I just asked out. By a hockey player." And I was happy about it.