Chapter 8

My grip on my stick tightened as I watched the game unfolding before me.

The team was literally doing nothing but getting pounded. Coach wouldn't even let me see ice now. I got one Ruffing call and now, I'm benched.

I looked up at the stands, my brothers and mom were screaming at the reff to call something. I understand completely.

" Coach you gotta let me out there. I'm the only forward that hasn't been pulverized."

" Cally, you'll kill someone." Cooter mumbled.

" Cooter shut up. They're getting killed and you know it."

He nodded slightly and told coach to let me out. Coach pulled one of the guys off the ice and let me on. I crashed the goal, Connor fed me the puck. I shot it through the 5hole, it went flying into the back of the net. I stood there, processing. I smiled and got back on the bench.

" Smith I need you on defense. This is the one time I'll let you do your goon thing. Just stay out of the box!"

I smiled and looked at Mason. Looks like we'll be on the same line. Sweet.

" Keep your head up. They're head hunting. If you gotta deck someone try and do it cleanly."

I shrugged quickly and smiled, " I'll do my best man. Try not to get yourself killed. Oh and no babying me on the ice!" I jumped over the wall and skated to the puck. I passes it up to Conner and decked some kid. I mean I'm here, might as well.

*****************

" Wow Cally, you're not half bad when you try." Cooter laughed.

" Shut up." I playfully shoved him, and laughed.

" See you at practice." He walked off and met up with the other boys.

" Callahan's got a boyfriend." Charlie laughed. I groaned and rolled my eyes.

I have to admit having him back is weird. It's been like six years. We hadn't really talked much about hockey. He said that he can't play anymore and taking about it just pisses him off. Christmas was less than a week away, this was one of our last games of the year.

" There's an open skate tomorrow, if you wanna come. I can properly introduce you to Cooter, who isn't my boyfriend." I smiled.

" I can't." He mumbled.

" What's with you? Hockey was everything to you! Now you won't even think about lacing up again!"

He stopped and turned around, but he didn't look angry, he just looked hurt. He pulled up the right leg of his jeans slightly to reveal a prosthetic leg, " That's why I can't."

I sighed and tried to think of what to say, " Why didn't you tell me? Is that why you didn't come home?"

" Callahan, you can't just drop the fact that you lost a leg." He groaned and started to walk away again. For the first time I noticed his slight limp. It was small, no wonder why it had gone in detected.

" Are you coming or are you waking home?" That was the Charlie I remembered. The idiot who hid my skates, ran over my stick. He was a big brother, my big brother. 

" Hey, Charlie." I started running after him, though he wasn't far away. 

" What kid?" He groaned.

" Thank you, for looking out for me."