Chapter 3

I don't want to say that I, Callahan Smith, gave up on hockey. Hockey gave up on me, my team doesn't want me anymore.

My skates, reek though the might, still hang untouched on my wall. My pucks stacked in a perfect pyramid, and my tarp rolled up. I looked over at the collection of trophies and medals that were thrown on the floor.

I rolled over and looked at my clock. The red numbers blazed 5:30AM. Great, I still have four hours. School was out for the week. I don't know why, I think a pipe broke.

I turned on the TV, I guess I should have known a hockey tape would be in there. I'm guessing I was about eight in this.

" Little Callahan Smith takes the puck, look at that perfect Michigan into the net! Who knew my baby sister could do that!" I smiled at the sound of my big brother's voice. I haven't seen him since he went off to the Navel Academy. He plays hockey there, like my dad used to. But he never came home, it was always too far for him to go. And at graduation, he only said hi, and then left. 

Soon after he found himself in Iraq. He's been on three tours already, but mom still keeps his room the way he left it. 

I watched as little me came running out of the lockeroom and into my brothers arms. My dad had left when I was about seven. After that my brother Charlie was the next best thing. But like all great things, he left. 

" You miss him don't you?" I looked over to see my mom standing at my door.

I paused the tape before replying, " Yeah he promised he be here for my first national championship. Where was he mom?"  

She sighed and sat next to me. I know she's about to launch into this whole lecture about now Charlie needed to find himself, and if that meant being away... then that's what he needed to do, " I was going to give this to you later but... This came in yesterday." 

She handed me a envelope, I'm guessing a letter or something, " Read it on your own time, then see how you feel about playing for your team again."

                                                                 **************************

I walked back into the rink for the first time in about a month. Yeah, it's been that long. I ducked into one of the lockerooms that they had set aside for the ponytail league.

" Callahan?" All of the girls asked. They had just finished their practice, and well yeah.

" Mind if I slum it in here for awhile? Just till pick up starts?" I asked. 

Lilly, the captain on the ponytails smiled and hugged me, " We've been waiting for you to come back." For once, I actually fit in with the girls. I guess I never understood them, they all seemed like wusses. In all reality, they're pretty cool. They just hate how the guys play.

" Pick up's starting, and our coach is waiting for dry ice torture." Lilly laughed walking out " Good luck!" 

I threw my helmet on and walked out. 

I knew the whole team was out there by sticks and the way they all skate.  Mason looked my way, and actually smiled. He knew, I nodded my head and got on the ice. 

" I'm back boys." 

Well kinda back. I'm on the ice, that counts right???