Chapter 49

The locker room was buzzing, yet we all sat there unmoving in disbelief. None of us thought we could actually do this. But we did.

I looked around at all of my boys, my family. We were all dripping with sweat, since none of us had showered yet. We all wanted to hear from coach first, we all wanted to hear what came next. What would we do for the next day? Or the next two months?

"Promise me, that every year well all get back together, no matter where we are," I said," We have to keep the draft party tradition going, yeah?"

"Every year in your backyard with a fire pit and a flatscreen," Kyler smiled.

We all laughed about the backyard tradition. Every year since we were in bantams, the boys would all come over to my house for a draft party. We'd play Snipes, some really bard yard hockey, and just goof off. Then, when every pick was about to be announced, we'd start to drum on the tables and then potentially criticize the choice of player. Bets were normally made on who'd get picked first, and if anyone we knew would make it.

"I wonder if Coots will get drafted this year," Connor mentioned," I mean, I've heard a lot of buzz about it. He even said it was possible."

"Yeah didn't I see him in the stands? Or was I going crazy?" I asked Kyler, knowing he'd tell me.

"Yeah, he had he week off so he flew out," Kyler shrugged loosening the laces on his skates," But he had to leave right after the game. Apparently his coach scheduled a practice tomorrow."

I nodded, feeling some sort of disappointment. I almost wished he'd be there waiting for us to come out. I almost wanted him to come out and party with us tonight. I wanted my team, my whole team. Just for one more night, I wanted us all to be together. Just like told times. I wanted us to be the same, just for one more night. One more night before it all had to change.

Coach came in a few minutes later, carrying our trophy. My entire body felt heavy and weighted, maybe it was just the exhaustion. Or maybe it was the strange sense of relief, mixed with the dread.

"I can't begin to tell you how proud I am of all of you," he said," You all left everything you had on the court, you made sure you had nothing left to give. I'm beyond proud of every single one of you. I've had the immense pleasure of watching most of you grow, and mature. I've seen so many of you all change as players, and as individuals. I've watched all of you overcome great odds to get here, to this point. I'll miss coaching all of you. Our journey started together, and it'll end together. Or at least your youth hockey careers will. You'll always be my team, my final one. I'll carry all of you where ever I go, and I hope you'll do the same. Lightning forever."

"Lightning forever," I agreed.

We were all dismissed a few minutes later. I stood in the shower, not moving as the water pelted me. I wanted to be able to think, to breathe. I should be celebrating, I should be so happy I couldn't stand it. But I wasn't.

I walked out of the locker room twenty minutes later, still in a sort of daze. Maybe it was shock. Maybe I was in an incredible amount of shock. Maybe this was just what it felt like to be a national champion. Maybe this was what happened after all the adrenaline wore off.

My bag felt so heavy on my shoulder. I could feel it weighing me down. I was walking with a slouch because of it. I just wanted to go back to the hotel room and sort everything out.

"Eh, Smith!"

"Chance! What are you doing here man?" I questioned dropping my bag and hugging him.

"Like I wouldn't come watch a my old team kick ass," he joked," Great game by the way. It's a good way to seal the legacy."

"I just can't believe you flew out here from Raleigh," I laughed," You gotta come back to the hotel and party with the guys. They'll be stoked to see you."

                                      ***
"Cal! Where are you going?" Kyler asked as I headed for the door. 

By this point. We'd all been in Conrad and I's room for hours. Mostly playing video games and reminiscing on all of our years.

"To get a cookie from the lobby!" I laughed running out the door and towards the elevator.

Not a total lie, I did want cookies, but I also needed coffee if I was going to stay up all night with these guys. I wanted too. I wanted to spend every minute I had with them. We'd never be like this again, no matter how hard we would try. We'd never be the same.

When I got down to the lobby, the only person down there was arguing with the concierge.

"My flight got canceled, I just need a room for one night," He explained," Please, just one night."

"Mr. Bruner, I'm sorry but we're all booked out."

Coty. I walked back a few steps. Surely I was imagining things. He'd flown out hours ago, he couldn't be here. He'd be back in Wyoming by now. Right?

No, not right. It was him. He was here.

"Considered this me cashing in my IOU," I said walking over," He can stay with me, were old friends."

"Callahan?"

"Close your mouth Coty, you'll catch flies," I replied," Cmon, all of the boys are in my room. You can either sleep on the floor or the couch, I don't care what you pick."

I started to walk away and realized he wasn't following," Are you coming or not Cooter?"

He nodded and followed me towards the elevator. I stood awkwardly waiting for him to say something. I hadn't seen him in a month, and it's not like we left things on good terms. But then again, we never seemed to leave things on good terms. We always fought. 

"I'm sorry," He mumbled," I should have been there for you, and for the team."

"Yeah, you should've been," I admitted, "But you weren't."

"Yeah."

"Hey Coty?" 

I turned around and grabbed his shoulders. Before he had the chance to stop me or do anything, I was kissing him. I couldn't exactly tell why I was kissing him. If it was goodbye, or maybe just picking up where we'd once left off. But whatever the reason, it felt right. 

Maybe this was what was missing today. 

"Deja Vu," He laughed," I do recall something like this happening two years ago in New York."

"Shut up Coty."

"Yes Ma'am. I can do that."

And just like that, all was as it should be.