Chapter 35

I wanted to melt away, never to be seen again. There he was, surrounded by all of my teammates. They all wanted to hear about the small town boy who'd made it to the NA.

I sunk back till I was almost to the door. Gripping the handle I rushed out into the cold. My chest had tightened, almost like I was having a panic attack or something. But I knew I wasn't. I'd had one before and it didn't feel the same. I found a bench and sat down. All I needed to do was get myself together and find the courage to get back inside.

"Who do I need to punch?" Conrad asked sitting next to me," As your brother, just tell me who's ass I need to kick and I'll kick it."

"Count me in too," Mason said walking over," Pretty sure I know who's in need of a butt whooping anyway."

"What's he doing here Josh?" I asked looking up.

"Wow use of the first name, this has to be serious," He joked," I don't know why he's here Cal. I know he came home for Christmas but I guess coach asked him to drop by."

"We can go if you want Cally," Conrad offered," I can grab Lil and well get out of here. It'll keep me from hitting your ex boyfriend."

I laughed a little and hit his arm," I don't need protecting. I'm a wrecking ball remember?"

"Ah, see you were THE wrecking ball, till you went soft," Conrad pointed out, clearly joking.

I took a deep breath and stood up," Guess we should go back in there. We're ten minutes away from the awkward karaoke, and Kyler and Connor both promised they'd break out the High School Musical."

"Is Connor gonna sing the girl part?" Mason questioned.

"Yes, so let's go."

The two boys laughed and walked in behind me. I found myself scanning for Cooter but couldn't find him. As hard as I tried I couldn't focus on anything else. Months later and I still found him almost intoxicating.

Clenching my fists I walked over to where my boys were. I needed someone to keep me calm. Connor was going on about just how good the Blackhawks were doing this season, but I had a prediction of my own.

"Nah man, it's Tampa's turn. They've fought so hard and come so close so many times," Kyler argued.

"We all know I want the Penguins to nab anther one so don't ask me," I laughed.

The song changed and Kyler got up from his seat," C'mon Cal lets go dance."

"Nah," I said shaking my head," I'm good you guys go."

"Nope, I dance with the captain or I don't dance at all," Kyler protested.

"One dance Ky, that's all you get."

He grabbed my hand and pulled me out into the little dance floor and started spinning me around.

"Did I mention the fact that you look hot in that dress?" Kyler questioned," Because wow."

"Watch yourself Kyler," I warned," I'm still you Captian, I can still get you benched."

He laughed and spun me again. The music stopped abruptly only for Connor to hop on stage.

"Alright this one is for our dedicated Captian! Callahan, something big is happening."

I laughed and took a step away from Kyler, only to be joined by the rest of the boys. We all burst into song once more. Only this time, I really could feel it in my bones. Something was happening with this team, and we were going to make it this year.

"This is just going to be something we do every single time we hear this song outside of the locker room, isn't it?" I asked over the music.

***

"That was really fun," I laughed once we pulled into my driveway," You guys are all staying over right?"

"Yes, but I think you need a new definition of fun Callahan," Conrad pointed out," Your best friend, and your brother both punched your ex boyfriend. Although I'm not saying that it wasn't awesome, but it could prove potentially problematic for you."

"Nah, screw him. Seeing you two back each other up like that was cute."

"But all the blood is not," Lily pointed out," Cmon we should probably get some ice."

We all got out of the car and slowly made our way inside. Just before Mason was able to get into the door I caught his arm.

"Thank you," I whispered," Not that punching Coty was the right way of dealing with things... But thank you."

"You're my sister Callahan, whether you like it or not," he replied," I'll always have your back. Plus, you're my captain now too, it's my job to protect you."