Chapter 28

I looked at myself once more in the mirror. My dark navy dress, which to Lilly's dismay wasn't one she had picked out, seemed somehow so unlike me. I'd been all done up, hair and makeup included. I had actually gotten my way, and was allowed to wear a new pair of Converse, rather than heels. But even still, I felt much to girly.

"You look way too beautiful," Cooter observed from my door," I might need to bring my stick to fend off the other guys."

"Let's just get this over with, shall we?"

**

As soon as we got to the hotel, the guys automatic swamped us. Lilly had ended up coming with Connor, after much deliberation of course. But strangely enough, the two of them looked kind of cute together. The rest of the team however, looked like lost puppies without Mason or Cooter beside them.

"Go have fun," I told Cooter," I don't really feel like dancing anyway."

"Callahan."

"Go Coty. I just want to sit down and say out of the way of my brother," I replied," Well half brother actually."

"Wait he's here?" Cooter asked looking around.

"He's the one with Caceey the slut," I sighed.

"You want me to go beat his ass?" He questioned, dead serious.

"Not unless he makes the first move," I laughed,"Its in both of our best interests to stay away from each other."

He grabbed my hand and smiled," Just one dance Cals. That's all I'm gonna ask for."

"One," I confirmed following him out to the dance floor.

One dance soon turned into five. I felt almost at home with him. I didn't understand why or how. Six months ago I couldn't stand him, and now I wasn't sure what would happen if he actually left. Eventually the rest of the boys joined us, and the team basically took over prom. The twenty of us knew that after tomorrow, things would never be the same. But for tonight, we were still a team. Just for one night, we were still kids, without their futures barreling down on them.

Something Big by Shawn Mendes came on. The twenty of us bursted out laughing, we always played this in the locker room before a game. We all started singing along at the top of our lungs. Although half the time we were laughing so hard we couldn't breathe.  The guys were so off key but even still it was amazing.

"Something big already has happened," I laughed at the end of the song," I found you guys, my family. That's big enough."

"Don't be such a sap Callahan. Let loose, dance, have a little fun!" Kyler groaned.

"Why don't you go back to your little red headed girlfriend, she looks pissed," I offered.

"Crap," he muttered before he ran off.

"Same old Kyler. He always forgets to pay attention to his ladies," Mason laughed,"Amateur."

"Oh and you're so much better with all of yours?" I asked.

"I have hoes in different area codes," He smirked," And they're all very happy."

"Yeah you can't even get a fate half the time," Lilly corrected.

Everyone but Mason started laughing so hard we couldn't breathe. Mason shook his head and walked off to his table. The rest of us stayed out, and had why to much fun. After Mason had time to get over himself he came back and joined us. By the end of the night I had danced so much my feet hurt, even in the sneaks I was in. And my stomach hurt from laughing so much. But I wouldn't have traded it for anything.

We all piled back into the party bus we'd rented and went back to my place. I sat and watched as everyone but Cooter left. The two of us went up stairs to watch the highlights from the playoff games today. We both knew that tomorrow was it for the season, but neither of us brought it up.

"Look I gotta talk to you, but you can't get all pissed off at me," He said nervously.

"When are you leaving?" My voice was flat, I almost didn't even recognize it.

He didn't even have to say anything. I knew he was leaving. I could tell just by the tone of his voice. He was going to say goodbye.

"As soon as school let out," he replied, his voice just above a whisper.

"When school lets out!" I said raising my voice,"That's next week Coty!"

"Callahan you promised."

"Why are you leaving that soon Coty. Summer training doesn't start till July. It's May!"

"The billet family I'm staying with offered to let me come up early. That way I can get settled in before camp starts. Plus the coach wants to meet with me, and get me on a training regimen," he sighed.

My head started spinning, he was actually leaving. I knew he was, but in a week seemed unrealistic. Tonight might as well have been a big goodbye for him.

"How long have you known?"

"Cal-"

"How long Coty?" I yelled needing to hear him say it.

"A week after we got back. I got a call, and my mom and I talked about it," he muttered," I'm so sorry Calli."

"So when you told me that you loved me," I had to force the words out," Was it some stupid game? Or a way to see if I'd actually stick it out with a long distance?"

"What Callahan no!" He protested.

"Can you leave please?" I asked trying to be polite.

"Callahan c'mon," He pleaded.

"Just um, get out. Please just go."

I didn't lift my head but I could hear his footsteps disappear. Not long after I could hear the door open and close behind him. Forget tomorrow, after tonight, nothing would be the same.