Chapter 58

"The rehearsal dinner invitations are being sent out today, yes?" I asked.

"I took them to the post office this morning," Coty confirmed," And we should be closing on the house next week, if all goes according to plan."

"Finally!" Ty joked walking into the main room of the apartment," I can have my own space. Not that I don't like spending time with you two or anything, but privacy doesn't exist here."

"Shouldn't you be getting ready for practice?" Coty questioned.

"Okay, I'm going," Ty groaned, throwing his hands up in defeat.

I leaned back into Coty. This was the first time that we both had a weekend home. Lightning didn't have a game, our bye weekend was much appreciated by the boys. Coty however, was playing the Pens tonight, for the first time since being traded.

"My mom is so excited about the wedding," Coty laughed," It's all she's talked about for two weeks now. Even my dad is happy about it."

"That's great Coty," I smiled," How is your dad these days?"

He shrugged," He's good. I forgot to tell you, he came to my game in New York. We talked for a while, probably the first non bs conversation we'd had in a while. It was nice."

"That's good, I'm happy for you," I replied," I know it's been a long road for the two of you. Especially these last couple of years."

"You know, he actually told me I was doing good by marrying you," He laughed," He didn't even criticize the proposal, he even approved of Tyler. He wants to take the three of us out to dinner next time he's in town."

I nodded, and then started thinking about everything he'd been through with his dad in the last years. They went from not talking again after Coty graduated, to slowly building a relationship. They didn't talk often even now, but they were working towards something.

The same couldn't be said for my father. I hadn't said a single word to him in over six years. Charlie had seen him a few times, but not very often. Brandon was the one who talked with him the most, Jared came in at a close second. My youngest brothers just wanted to try and have a relationship, I understood that. Charlie just wanted his son to have the chance to know his grandfather, I understood that too. Part of me, a very small part, wanted to see him again, invite him to the wedding, have him there when I married the love of my life.

"You guys ready?" Ty asked walking out with his sports duffle bag.

"Actually, I forgot I have an errand I have to run," I said standing up," Coty, the um practice plan is on my desk, but Con and Kyler should know what to do."

"Callahan, babe you've never missed a practice," Coty laughed,"What's going on?"

"There's just something I need to do, and I don't think it can wait," I told them grabbing my keys," Oh and Tyler, if I hear that you got into a fight today, all because I wasn't there to stop you, I will kill you."

"Yes ma'am," He laughed," I'll see you at the game then?"

Almost an hour later, I parked my car outside of a townhouse in Cary. Although I'd never officially been here, I'd driven by a couple of times in the last months.

I gathered up my courage and got out of the car. My hands were shaking as I knocked on the front door. I was silent praying no one would answer.

But somehow, I wasn't disappointed when the door swung wide open, and I was met with a man I'd only seen a handful of times in the last ten years.

"Callahan, wh-" He stopped and shook his head, before opening the door for me," Please come in."

I awkwardly took a step inside the house," Hi...dad."