Chapter 36

I shifted my phone so it was awkwardly lodged in between my ear and my shoulder,"Are you sure you don't want me to come get you? It looks like it might rain, or snow."

Mason laughed from the other end of the line," Yeah Cals, I'm sure. I just need to feel the open road for a bit."

I threw my bag in the trunk and grabbed my phone," Whatever you say man," I sighed," So, how do you think we'll do this weekend? Biggest game for us so far."

He laughed again. The carefree laugh that I'd always loved," They don't stand a chance. We're on a roll this year. Natty bound, remember?"

"Natty bound," I agreed," Alright, I'll see you at the rink man. Drive safe, love ya."

Not I love you. Not that I'd ever say that to him anyway. We had the type of best friends, brother-sister, I'll kill for you if I have to, love. We had that bound that we got from being teammates for eight plus years.

"Love you too Cal. I'll see you in a few."

"Hey Josh," I mumbled," Thanks for everything. After my dad left there hasn't been a day that's gone by that you haven't been there. And I don't think I've ever said thank you."

"Callahan you don't need to thank me," he replied," Okay if I don't leave now I'm going to be late. I'll see you at the rink."

We said our goodbyes and I quickly pulled out of the driveway. I was almost late to practice but made it in just enough time to drop Mason's bag outside the guys locker room and get changed in mine.

Practice sucked, I won't lie. All coach did was skate the mess out of us, and run PP and PK drills. Something about our special lines were off.

Half way through Connor made a dash for the trashcan on the bench and blew chunks. I probably would've laughed had I not been so close to doing it myself.

"Callahan I know you can skate faster than that!" Coach yelled," You too Conrad!"

I glanced over at Con and pushed off harder. I tried to get to the puck but blew and edge and went down.

"Jesus Christ you Smith's need to get it together."

"Sorry Coach," I mumbled getting up.

I skated over to the bench to grab water. I watched as the boys skated as hard as they could so coach would be happy. I laughed when Kyler fell flat on his face after getting back off the bench.

"Watch yourself Smith," he laughed getting back up.

Coach ended up just letting us have a quick scrimmage, before we had what we called " War Strategy".

Basically it's when we figure out what approach we're gonna take with the next few games. We all stayed center ice as coach started planning things out with his white board.

"Alright you all reek so go shower and we'll continue this after," Coach announced," and make it quick."

We all took off towards the locker rooms and caught a quick shower. I got dressed quickly and ran out to meet the rest of the team back at center ice.

Coach stood in the middle of the face-off circle and I could tell something was wrong. I stood next to Conrad and waited.

Coach shoved his hands in his pockets and looked down at the ice," I just received a phone call from Joshua's mom."

Before I could even think I looked over at the locker room door, his bag was still sitting there. Why didn't he come to practice?

"Josh was on his way when he-" Coach's voice broke,"When he was hit by someone who was texting and driving."

"Is he okay?" I asked before I could stop myself,"Can he still play?"

Coach shook his head," He was rushed to the hospital, they tried everything they could."

I could feel pain wash over me like a title wave. I clutched my stomach and backed up from the group. I shook my head, he couldn't be.

"Josh died at the hospital. I'm so sorry guys, he's gone."

My legs gave out and I hit the ice hard. My ears were ringing but I could still hear someone screaming. The world around me blurred. I could tell the guys were moving, but I couldn't tell you what they were doing.

All I could think about was what if. I should've picked him up. I should've driven him here, he would've been fine. It was my fault.

My throat was raw, I was screaming. Tears burned my eyes. He was gone. My nails racked along the ice as I tried to find something to hold onto. If I didn't know any better I would've thought my whole world was coming crashing down around me.

I felt someone grab me and wrap their arms around me. I'd later find out it was Conrad, trying to quiet me down. One by one the rest of the team came around us, till we were all joined together.

I clung to Conrad for dear life. The ice froze my legs, but I couldn't feel it. Slowly my whole body went numb. But even then the only thing I could think of was the fact that I'd never see my best friend, my teammate, my brother.... ever again.

A/N

A year ago today, the Raleigh hockey community lost one of their own. His name was Justin, and he was a teammate of my older brother. Justin was truly one of a kind, and was actually the inspiration for Joshua Mason's character. Justin's talent on the ice was unparalleled, he was the definition of a natural hockey player. He was incredibly humble and was always trying to put everyone else first. If he did something insane on the ice (or roller rink) he'd just look at you like it was nothing, or laugh it off.

He was almost twenty, but so full of life. He'd always take time to talk to me when I'd see him at the rink, and he'd always ask about how I was doing. No matter how busy he was, he'd make time for people he knew and loved.

The world will never be the same without you or your smile. Rest easy Justin. You'll always be one of my many brothers...I love you man.