3 | bold

Upon arriving at the party, I find myself immediately rethinking my decision to show up

For starters, I'm not exactly comfortable in the little black dress Kehlani had insisted I wear tonight after finding it hidden at the bottom of one of my drawers. I've never worn it, and for good reason. It doesn't necessarily suit my style, and I feel as if I stick out like a sore thumb in it. I'm not even sure why I bought the dress, though most likely because Ivy made me at some point. I'm wearing more makeup than usual as well, which makes me feel confident at the same time I feel as if I'm pretending; playing a part instead of being myself.

Before leaving my dorm, I had texted Ben and Ivy in our group chat to make them aware of my (very untypical) latest escapade. Both had replied to my message in disbelief, though proud of me for finally venturing out on my own and allowing myself the chance to have fun. I'd asked if either were interested in coming to the party with me and Kehlani, though both had declined. Ben's not the party-scene type, and though Ivy said she wished she could attend, she had to work on another piece for the paper.

Therefore, I am left relatively alone.

Of course, there's Kehlani, though our differences were once again made clear as day from the moment we arrived at this party and stepped through the front door. My roommate is a social butterfly, easily walking up to others and striking conversation. I somehow end up sticking to the sidelines and nursing a drink, wondering why I find the simple act of socializing to be so very hard.

I decide to escape the crowd in the living room by wandering into the kitchen, realizing I need another drink if I'm going to get through the night. I could always leave, though it feels wrong to ditch Kehlani after only being here for a few minutes, even if we're not together at the moment.

There are a few people scattered around the kitchen, though it's much less crowded than the living room had been. I approach the counter in the corner, which is loaded with bottles of alcohol and soda liters, as well as snack foods.

I reach for the half-empty bottle of vodka without a second thought, mindlessly pouring a stream of the clear liquid into my newly emptied plastic cup. I frown as I study the selection of sodas before me, knowing the contents in my cup are going to taste wretched if I don't drown out the harsh flavor of the alcohol with something less bitter.

I end up reaching for the coke, mixing it with the vodka I've already poured. I wince as I take the first sip, though the alcohol helps to ease my nerves and boost my adrenaline.

Turning away from the counter, I run—quite literally—into someone approaching the bar I'd just been facing. A small cry leaves my lips as I steady my drink before its contents splash all over my chest, quickly glancing up to see who I've bumped into.

For a moment, everything around me seems to fade to nothing but background noise. I can hardly think as I stare up at probably the most attractive boy I've ever seen, suddenly tongue-tied. I take him in, eyes wandering from his disheveled dark hair to his sparkling brown-eyed gaze, dropping lower to his full pink lips before blushing and returning my stare to his.