32 | morbid

"It's twisted," Kehlani mumbles below her breath, the words barely audible

"It's twisted," Kehlani mumbles below her breath, the words barely audible. The horror etched onto her facial features is enough to tell me that something is wrong. I make my way up to her, joining the inner circle of my friends as I return to the living room. Something has happened in the time I have been away in the bathroom. It's killing me to not know what.

"It's seriously fucked," Jace agrees, sounding spooked. "I can't even believe it."

"What?" I can't resist questioning. "What happened?"

"The police released an update about the girl," Will informs me. I don't have to ask the identity of the girl he's referencing to know just who he is talking about. There is no doubt in my mind that the police have found something out about Naomi's case. The blood running through my veins turns to lead.

"What is it?" I ask, more frantically than I'd like to come across. "What'd they say?"

"They think they know the demographics of the suspect," Kehlani tells me. For the first time since entering the room, I notice Jacob standing next to me. He has yet to say a word, though he looks as shaken as the rest of us. His face is pale, pinched in horror.

"Male," Jace grumbles. "Around two-hundred pounds. Age range eighteen to twenty-three."

"In other words . . ." Will trails off, clearing his throat as if he is having trouble completing his sentence.

"A student," I conclude for him. "They think it was a student who did it."

Jacob stiffens next to me. Kehlani visibly shivers.

"I feel sick," she admits. "It's terrifying to think . . ." she shakes her head. "We've been going to school with whoever . . . did it. They've been living here this whole time. And . . ."

"They're still out there." I hug my arms close to my body, trying to comfort myself as I come to terms with the morbid thought. Of course, the possibility of the suspect of Naomi's murderer being a student has crossed my mind. In fact, it has always seemed like the only viable probability. Yet it's a different sort of fear to find that your worst suspicions have been confirmed. It's unsettling to know there is a murderer in Redwood's midst. For two months now, the culprit behind Naomi's death has been out there, walking free amongst campus. Whoever it is, they know what they have done. And they have yet to say a word; they have yet to admit to the crime they have committed. They seem to be merely living with their guilt—or maybe guilt free—blending in with the rest of us.

The killer could be anyone. And the fact that they have yet to turn themself in proves they are pure evil.

"That gives me the creeps," Will admits unashamedly. He runs a hand through his headful of blond curls, glancing around the room warily. "Not to sound like a pussy, but . . . it could be literally anyone. What if I know them? What if they're in one of my classes? What if they're in my fraternity? What if—"

"Cool it, Sherlock," Jace interrupts Will. "No use in psyching yourself out."

"I get what you mean," Kehlani tells Will. "The same thoughts are running through my head. I don't even want to go outside anymore."

"I'll walk you home," Jace offers. "It's probably not a good idea for anyone to be walking around alone right now."

Kehlani thanks him by offering a small smile. The gesture doesn't reach her eyes, though I can't blame her. I'm assuming we're all pretty rattled, wondering just how close Naomi's killer could really be at the moment.

"It's just been so long," I squeak. "Can you guys believe that? Two whole months have passed, and whoever it is—"

"Can we stop talking about this?" Jacob interrupts. I flinch, partly because I'd forgotten about his presence standing next to me, though also because of the aggressiveness behind his tone.

We all turn to stare at Jacob, whose expression is indecipherable. He clears his throat, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. His face is so white, the dark circles beneath his eyes look as purple as fresh bruises.

"It's freaking me out," Jacob clarifies. His gaze bounces around the room, as if he is trying to spot the killer amongst us. He almost looks crazed. "I drank too much for this. I feel sick."

"Ditto," Kehlani murmurs. "I think I want to go home."

"Come on," Jace steps up to her, wrapping a comforting arm around her shoulders. She leans into him slightly. "I'll walk you."

"I'm gonna go round up some of my fraternity brothers," Will tells us. "Try to get some people to leave before everyone finds out the news. I don't think anyone is in much of a party mood anymore."

"We should probably get going, too," Jacob mumbles. "You ready, Blythe?"

I nod, accepting the hand Jacob extends for me to take. We make our way through the house following behind Jace and Kehlani, weaving our way through the dimming crowd.

As I'm about to head out of the door, I catch sight of Zach. I hesitate, holding his stare for a moment. He doesn't bother trying to hide the fact that he has noticed me as well. He stares unashamedly, glancing down at my hand intertwined with Jacob's before his eyes meet mine once again.

His expression unsettles me. Not because I sense malice behind his stare, but because I have come face-to-face with the eyes of someone trying to signal a warning.

 Not because I sense malice behind his stare, but because I have come face-to-face with the eyes of someone trying to signal a warning