16 | wary

"It's so awful that there's still no news," Ivy mumbles under her breath, shaking her head sadly

"It's so awful that there's still no news," Ivy mumbles under her breath, shaking her head sadly. "God, police suck. You'd think they'd be trying to figure out what happened to Naomi, or that they'd at least have a suspect list by now. I mean, it's been a month and we still have no answers. I feel like they're barely making time for this case."

"It would be solved already if they worked on the case as much as you do for The Cardinal," I tease my friend. Ivy and I are hanging out for what feels like the first time in forever, as I've finally managed to tear her away from journalism for a few minutes. However, conversation is still centered around her work; though I can't say I'm surprised.

"Exactly!" Ivy exclaims, not realizing my statement was meant to be satirical. She goes on a tangent, but I barely tune into her rant. I can't seem to focus on what Ivy is saying, instead thinking over how I should break the news of my relationship to her. Since I've already told Ben about Jacob—and since this is potentially the only time I'll be able to tear Ivy away from her laptop long enough to actually talk to her for a while—I decided I might as well tell her too. She deserves to know. Plus, I've been dying to share my excitement with my best friend for what feels like ages now.

"So," I say when Ivy finally wraps up her impromptu speech, "I have something to tell you."

Ivy raises her eyebrows, studying me closely. "Jonah finally agreed to let you write for the paper?"

I discreetly roll my eyes. A bitter feeling fills my chest, eating away at me. Everything is always about the paper to Ivy. And I'm still a little hurt that I'm not allowed to write, and jealous that she is. However, I disregard her question and shake my head instead of elaborating on the subject.

"No. It's about . . . well, me."

"Don't tell me you're transferring," Ivy says, sounding frantic. Her almond-shaped eyes widen, features pinching with contained fear. "I know you always dreamed about going to some big university, but I would miss you so much. Not that I wouldn't be happy for you, but—"

"Ivy!" I break in with a laugh, cutting her off. "I'm not transferring! I promise. I just wanted to tell you that . . . well, I'm dating someone."

Ivy goes still for a moment. She becomes a statue, with wide eyes and lips parted into an O, frozen in mid-air. After a brief hesitation, Ivy grabs my arm and releases a loud squeal. People lounging in the cafe around us turn to stare, though Ivy pays them no attention.

"Oh my God, Blythe!" Ivy bounces up and down in her seat, her grip turning to iron around my wrist. "I'm so happy for you! Who's the lucky guy? When did this start? How long has it been going on? Why didn't you tell me sooner? Ugh, you have to tell me everything!"

I laugh as Ivy hurls a thousand questions my way at once, in true Ivy fashion.

When she finally gives me the chance to get a word in, I explain, "I haven't really had the chance to tell you, but it hasn't been going on too long. A little over a month. I wanted to make sure things were serious before I really told anyone."