75 | clarity

I'm finishing up a paper that is due by the end of the week when a notification pops up on the lower half of my laptop screen, signifying an incoming call from my sister

I minimize the tab I'd previously had pulled up as I accept Talia's call, leaning back against my headboard as I wait for the screen to load with an image of my sister. Our call connects after a few moments, and I am soon left staring into my sister's blue eyes through the monitor of my laptop.

"Hi," Talia says gently, breaking the silence between us. Her tone indicates that she is concerned, as does her expression. My sister's features are pinched, as if she is using all of her strength to keep herself together. Her blue eyes are glassy, carefully hiding her emotions from sight. However, it's still rather evident that there is something bothering her. I have a few guesses as to what might be on her mind.

"Hey," I reply casually with the faintest of smiles. Though I know where this conversation will soon be heading, I don't want to worry my sister further by revealing that I am rattled as well. Besides, I'm doing a lot better now than I was a few days ago. It may not feel like it at the moment, but I know I will only continue to get better as time goes on.

"I'm sorry I didn't call sooner," Talia states, shaking her head remorsefully. "I wanted to, but I also figured it would be best to give you some . . . space first."

"I'm assuming Mom told you about . . . everything?" I'm referring to Jacob and the news that has recently come to light about him. I wouldn't be surprised if my mother decided to go ahead and update my sister on all that has happened lately. I had been planning on sharing the story with Talia myself, though she was right. I just needed a little space first; time to sort out my feelings and wrap my head around everything I needed to address in order to be able to move on from all that has happened.

"Well, yes," Talia admits, pursing her lips thoughtfully. "But I actually first heard about it on the news.

I raise my eyebrows in surprise. I knew that Naomi's death and the recent events of finding the identity of her murderer had been covered on the news. I guess I just didn't realize the story had grown to be nationwide.

"Wow," I mumble under my breath. "Well, that's good to hear. I'm glad Naomi is getting the justice she deserves."

Talia nods in agreement, focusing her gaze on me as her expression turns soft. "Do you want to talk about it, Blythe? I'm here, you know. To listen."

This time, it is my turn to nod. I'm unsure as to why tears have started to blur my vision. I suppose I've been trying so hard these last few days to convince myself that I'm okay—that I'm going to be okay—that I haven't fully allowed myself the chance to feel all of the sadness and bottled emotions consuming me. However, it's as if everything I have been trying to keep in breaks loose within me when I hear my sister say that she is here to simply listen if there is anything I want to talk about.