29 | endearing

"Hi, Mom

"Hi, Mom."

I do my best to suppress a sigh as I answer my mother's tenth call of the day. She had blown up my phone so much while I was in class, I ended up having to turn it off. I understand her worry and constant need for reassurance that I am okay—especially with what has recently happened on campus—though I'd be lying if I said her overprotective nature wasn't slightly annoying at times, especially when she is blowing up my phone in the middle of a lecture hall.

"There you are!" Mom exclaims on the other end of the line once I accept her call, sounding relieved. "Blythe Tatum, you nearly gave me a heart attack. You know you're supposed to be answering your phone!"

"I was in class, Mom," I chide, rolling my eyes though I'm smiling. "I was going to call you back."

"Nevermind about that," Mom dismisses my statement breezily. "How are you, sweetie?"

"I'm doing good, Mom," I admit honestly. "Not too much to complain about. How are things at home?"

"Good, good," Mom says. "Your father has been driving me crazy, as usual. Talia called. I think she's going to come visit us soon. You know, you should really call your sister, Blythe. She said she hasn't heard from you since you started university. That was almost two months ago!"

"I know, Mom." I purse my lips almost to the point of pain. It's not that I'm avoiding talking to my sister, it's just that I'm not exactly looking forward to doing so. I know precisely what Talia will ask me the first time we talk: How things are going with the paper. I don't want to have to face the embarrassment of admitting that I don't even have a position as a writer on the newspaper committee. Especially not after having to live in my sister's shadow for years, with everyone who knew us so certain I would follow in her footsteps. "I promise I'll talk to her soon."

"Is something going on between you two?" Mom questions, tone slightly concerned. "Did you girls—"

"Nothing's going on, Mom," I assure her. "You know Talia. She's always busy. And I've been swamped with assignments and stuff lately. Just a lot going on. Our schedules just make it harder to keep in touch."

"Okay." I can sense that my mother is holding her tongue. She definitely wants to talk more on the subject, though doesn't want to come off as overbearing. I want to tell her that she comes across as overbearing anyway, though I know she wouldn't appreciate that.

I pull my phone away from my ear as my mother starts to go on a tangent about some post she saw on Facebook. I don't mean to tune her out, I'm merely distracted by my phone vibrating. Checking the screen, I find a text from Jacob asking if we're still on to meet up tonight. Reading his text reminds me that I have yet to tell my mother about my new relationship. Guilt begins to eat at me. I've been putting off telling Mom about Jacob because I know she's going to react overly excited, though I'm starting to feel bad about keeping secrets. Jacob and I have been official for nearly two months now. It's probably time I come clean. After all, Jacob has already met my friends. Maybe I'll leave out the part about how long Jacob and I have been dating when I tell Mom about my new boyfriend. I know that finding out I've been keeping the news of my first boyfriend from my mother will only upset her.