33 | dejected

Upon reaching Jacob's dorm, I try my best to get comfortable

I've decided to stay the night with him, as I feel the most comforted in his presence. After the news that broke tonight, I don't feel safe being without him.

I text Ivy and Ben about the police statement that was released tonight while Jacob showers, both of them as freaked out as I am. Ivy mentions that Jonah will have the paper swamped with this news, which I don't doubt. The more that the word of the police statement can get out about the demographics of the potential suspect, the better. Maybe then we all can get closer to finding out who killed Naomi and she can get the justice she deserves, as well as her cold-hearted killer.

I jump when the bathroom door opens to reveal my boyfriend. Jacob must not notice that he has startled me, as he doesn't comment on my display of fear. He has seemed lost in his thoughts since we left the party, trapped in his own little world. I can't blame him. We all cope with tragedy in our own ways.

In an attempt to lighten the mood, I grab my bag as Jacob takes a seat on the edge of his bed next to me. He sprawls himself out, laying flat on his back with his arms tucked beneath his head.

"Nice shower?" I tease.

Jacob nods in response. He doesn't much look my way, eyelids fluttering closed as he gets himself comfortable.

"Sorry for not talking much," he apologizes after a brief moment. "I guess I'm just kinda out of it."

"I understand." I continue talking, trying to fill the silence spreading between us. I have yet to see this side of Jacob. It's unusual. He's not typically so standoffish, tending to be playful and lighthearted.

As I'm talking, I take my psychology textbook out of my bag along with the designated notebook I have for the class, setting the objects atop Jacob's mattress.

"I hope you didn't forget about your promise," I joke. "You're supposed to help me study, remem—"

I stop short when I glance down at Jacob to find he is knocked out. His chest rises and falls evenly, his head turned away from me as it rests against a pillow. He must have drifted off while I was speaking.

I feel sort of dejected. I'd been hoping to seek comfort in his arms in my time of need. However, I can't blame him for being tired. He drank tonight, had football practice and classes earlier in the day, and we all just found out some pretty rattling news.

I set my things back down on the floor, pulling the comforter around Jacob's body as I cuddle up next to him. I kiss his forehead and whisper goodnight to him, laying down next to his body.

Closing my eyes, I prepare myself for a night of fitful sleep.