13 | translucent

Now that Jacob and I are technically official, I find myself spending an increasing amount of time with him

Now that Jacob and I are technically official, I find myself spending an increasing amount of time with him. When he invites me to a party hosted by one of his football teammates over the weekend, I only hesitate slightly before agreeing to go.

Of course, Kehlani is thrilled to help get me ready for the event. She talks my ear off as she takes part in picking out a decent outfit from my wardrobe—a shirt and skirt combo—and applies skilled makeup to my face in an attempt to bring out my features. I wait for her to get ready in return, as she always seems to end up at any party thrown on campus; with Kehlani being the social butterfly she is.

Kehlani and I walk across campus together, as I agreed to meet Jacob at the house the party is being thrown. Upon arriving, I'm instantly overwhelmed. People group together in small circles in each room, making the house feel much smaller and more crowded than it really is. The smell of booze and pot wafts in the air, clouding my senses and leaving me feeling light-headed. Loud music blares from some unseen speaker, vibrating amongst the floorboards beneath my feet. It's not exactly my scene, though I inhale a deep breath and tell myself to get over my initial discomfort. Jacob asked me here so I could be a part of something he enjoys, and I agreed because I want to become closer with him and learn more about who he is. Besides, being in a relationship is all about trying new things and breaking out of your comfort zone, right?

I find Jacob in the kitchen, lingering by the bar-style counter that is littered with red solo cups and half-empty bottles of alcohol. He shoots a smile in my direction upon spotting me, which has Kehlani grabbing my arm and squeezing tightly in excitement.

"He is so cute," she says into my ear, trying her best to speak clearly over the blaring music. "God, I'm so jealous."

I laugh at her remark, though I feel my cheeks turning red. As Kehlani runs off to make herself a drink, Jacob excuses himself from the group he'd previously been talking to and approaches me.

"You look good," he teases with a smile, wrapping his arms around my frame as he pulls me into a warm embrace. I smile into his chest.

"Hello to you, too," I retort as I pull away. Jacob rolls his eyes in good nature, running a hand comfortingly down my arm before entwining my fingers with his own.

"I want to introduce you to a few people," he tells me, taking a small step backwards and pulling me along with him. "Is that okay?"

I nod in agreement, though I'm suddenly nervous. I find myself overthinking the situation, wondering who I'm about to meet and what Jacob will introduce me to his friends as. So far, we've confirmed that the two of us are exclusive. However, I'm still unsure as to what my specific title to him is.

I follow Jacob into the living room—I've since learned we're at a frat house—as he walks up to a small group of boys. I recognize a few of the guys from Redwood's football team, though the others are foreign to me.