23 | careful

"I see you sneaking in, you know

"I see you sneaking in, you know."

I bristle by the doorway of my dorm. I'd been hoping Kehlani would have already left for class by the time I returned to our room, just so I wouldn't have to face the shame of being caught sneaking around like a teenager. Though I know Kehlani doesn't actually mind my constant absence, not staying in your assigned dorm room isn't exactly encouraged around campus. Plus, I do feel a little guilty for constantly leaving my friend alone in our room, especially with so many unanswered questions as to what happened to Naomi and if her potential assailant is still wandering around campus under all of our noses. I haven't been the best friend to her, which results in a feeling of remorse filling within my chest.

"I'm sorry," I tell Kehlani as I close our door gently. "I didn't mean to startle you."

Kehlani wears a knowing smirk. "Have fun with your boyfriend last night?"

I roll my eyes at her teasing, biting back a grin of coy elation. "Maybe. I need to stop staying over there. I don't mean to leave you alone so often."

"I'm not gonna tell. And it's okay, I understand that you're all in love or whatever." Kehlani assures me with a laugh and smug smile. She turns her attention to the mirror set atop the desk on her side of the room, adjusting her makeup as she dabs at her features with a powder brush. "Although, just be cautious. Cops have been swarming campus since . . . well, you know."

"I know," I say as I wander over to my designated area of our shared room, gathering the things I need to get ready for my morning classes. "I wish the police would give us some real answers about what happened. I feel like it's been forever since we've heard anything."

As of now, it has been weeks since Naomi's death—two months, to be exact—and yet there have been zero updates from the police as to what happened to her. There still has yet to be a list of suspects released, much less a timeline of events that may have led to the poor girl's death. Not only do I feel like the campus deserves answers, but I feel as though Naomi and her loved ones deserve justice.

"It's ridiculous," Kehlani agrees with a frustrated shake of her head. "I'm tired of feeling scared to walk around campus, especially when I'm alone. I just want this whole thing to be put to rest. You'd think the cops would take this case seriously."

Conversation ceases as Kehlani and I go about our routines to ready ourselves for the day. Just as I'm about to head to the communal bathroom, Kehlani rises from her seat and turns to face me.

"Well, I'm off for the day. I'll see you later. And be careful, okay Blythe?"

I nod. "You too."

———
a/n: RED TV CAME OUT TODAY I AM NOT OKAY 😭

———a/n: RED TV CAME OUT TODAY I AM NOT OKAY 😭