11 | intoxicating

"Couldn't tear Ivy away from her laptop?" Ben questions, staring at me pointedly through the lenses of his black-framed glasses, which he wears occasionally

I sigh as I take a seat across from him, shaking my head. "Nope."

"What was it this time?" Ben asks. He smirks, his expression one of understanding. "Let me guess: She's the lead on this week's front-page article again?"

I bite down on my lip to keep myself from laughing. "No, actually. Jonah has her researching the coffee shops in the area to see where he can get the most caffeinated black coffee."

Ben cringes, shaking his head. "That dude does not need any more caffeine. Seriously."

This time, I allow my burst of laughter to be set free. "You're telling me. He was practically shaking the first time I spoke to him."

Glancing at Ben, I find he is studying me peculiarly. I cock an eyebrow at him, waiting for some explanation as to why he is eyeing me so strangely.

"You look different," he murmurs finally, gazing at me as if in a trance.

"So do you," I retort. Smirking, I add, "I can't remember the last time I saw you in glasses."

"I ran out of contacts," Ben explains briefly. He quickly bites back by retorting, "You're wearing more makeup than usual."

My cheeks flush, turning red under Ben's careful stare.

"Is there something wrong with it?" I question, suddenly insecure. He isn't wrong, as I've applied dark liner to bring out my eyes and a little more cover-up than usual. I had been satisfied with the end result, plus Jacob had told me that he liked when I did my makeup like this the first time I wore it around him. I've never been one to wear much makeup, though I suppose Kehlani's guidance and Jacob's compliments have had me experimenting with different looks more often than usual. However, I can't admit aloud that a boy has swayed the way I dress my appearance. Even the thought sounds foolish. I blush harder.

"No!" Ben is quick to exclaim. "It looks pretty. I guess I just . . . I don't know. It doesn't seem very Blythe."

I'm unsure whether I'm supposed to take Ben's latter statement as a compliment or an insult. Thankfully, my phone dinging with a text saves me from having to respond. I smile to myself unconsciously when I see that the text is from Jacob, saying he hopes I have a good day along with asking if I'm free to get together tonight. I rush to reply, feeling as giddy as a child on Christmas morning.

"Who are you texting that has you smiling like that?" Ben inquires. He's smiling, though his eager expression gives away the fact that he is suspicious. I quickly become defensive, not enjoying the feeling of being judged.

"No one," I retort, quickly putting my phone away and hiding it from sight. I open my mouth in an attempt to change the subject, but Ben cuts me off with a shake of his head before I'm able to get a word out.