24 | sorry

"It's complete bullshit," Ivy mumbles to herself, shaking her head as she glares down at her laptop

Though Ivy nor myself have openly addressed our most recent argument, it's safe to assume that the both of us have put our disagreement behind us and left it in the past. It isn't often the two of us bicker, though it's even more rare for either of us to hold a grudge. I suppose that's only natural, considering the years of friendship we have under our belts.

I can tell that Ivy is stressed with the work she's been assigned for this week's issue of The Cardinal. Considering I'm merely an editor, I don't have much to do until the writers complete their articles, which are due soon. However, Ivy has been struggling to come up with a draft for her topic this week—which of course is no other than Naomi's mysterious and still unsolved death.

"What's going on?" I question. While Ivy has been undergoing research for her article, I have been sitting by her side studying for an upcoming quiz in my psychology class.

"This case," Ivy says in a breath. She leans back in her seat, blowing her dark bangs out of her face as she adjusts her messy bun. "The cops that are supposedly trying to figure out what happened to Naomi are bastards. I don't think there's even a question as to why no one has any answers yet."

Ivy shoots me a pointed glance, unspoken rage sparkling like a flame in her dark irises. I know better than to give input, instead simply allowing my friend to rant while I lend a listening ear.

"I mean, seriously?" she continues, visibly frustrated as she speaks. "Weeks—months now, actually—and not even a single lead or suspect? Let's be honest, if Naomi had been a caucasion female this case would have been solved within days. Fuck systematic racism. People of color deserve rights, and yet we're in the twenty-first century and white people still remain superior. It's fucking bullshit."

I watch as a new gleam takes light in Ivy's eyes, her expression struck with inspiration. "You know what? That's what I'm going to write this article about. Institutional racism in criminal justice, exemplified by Naomi's case."

"Great idea," I agree with a nod of respect. "It definitely needs to be spoken about more. Jonah will love the concept."

"It's pathetic that I even need to write about it," Ivy mumbles to herself bitterly. "You know? Like, why is racism even still a thing? And when are we going to have the conversation about white privilege? Society sucks."

It really is unbelievable that white privilege is still so dominant in society today. Being born a caucasion female in the United States, I can't say there were many issues I was aware of during my childhood. However, meeting Ivy and growing close with her was a real eye-opener as to how the world treats people of color. Having to witness the way our peers would act towards Ivy merely because she is Asian led me to want to educate myself on the hardships people of color face on a daily basis. It was heart-wrenching to have to watch my friend deal with relentless prejudice, especially when I had to comfort her for the awful slurs and treatment Ivy received from people who disliked her because of her heritage.

Viewing the way the police have been handling Naomi's case has been a major cause of frustration for me lately. I understand the truth behind Ivy's words, knowing that she is right. If Naomi had been white, solving her death and arresting her murderer would have definitely taken place much quicker. However, criminal justice in the United States lacks compassion for minorities. It's sickening. At the end of the day, all humans bleed red, no matter the color of their skin. To believe someone is superior or lesser than because of their race is a delusion, and a seriously taken out of hand misconception.

"I need a break," Ivy murmurs as she closes her laptop, offering me her undivided attention. "And I'm sorry. For yesterday. I shouldn't have snapped at you the way I did. That was unfair of me. Besides, your relationships are none of my business. I had no right to say what I did."

"It's okay," I assure my friend, finding that I mean the words. "You were just looking out for me. I know I'd feel the same way if our roles were reversed. I talked to Jacob yesterday about the situation. He wants to meet you. And Ben too. He said he wants to be a bigger part of my life, and I really want to make good on that. I don't know why I've been keeping everything about our relationship so secretive. That probably didn't look too good."

Ivy raises her eyebrows, seemingly intrigued by my revelation. Though she doesn't say anything on the subject, I can tell she's impressed about hearing that Jacob wants to make an effort to get to know the people closest to me and become more involved in my personal life. Ivy hasn't been his biggest fan so far. I know her judgments of him because he's a football player and also by some rumors she's heard about him weren't meant to be malicious, though I'm certain she will realize Jacob isn't the typical college frat boy she thinks he is upon meeting him.

"I like that idea," Ivy agrees. "You're like a sister to me, Lithie. I guess I can be a little too protective of you sometimes. I'd just like to know the guy you're going out with. I want to make sure he's someone that will treat you well. Because you deserve the best."

"Why don't we all meet up at the café this weekend?" I propose. "If you meet him and still have worries, then I promise I'll take your concerns into consideration. Deal?"

"Deal." Ivy grins. "It's a date."

———
a/n: double update bc the last chapter was so short !

———a/n: double update bc the last chapter was so short !