72 | outstanding

Zach and I are walking back to my dorm when I notice Jonah approaching us at hyper speed, a cup of steaming coffee in hand as he cuts toward us all too quickly

"Who's that?" Zach questions, furrowing his eyebrows as he takes in Jonah's highly caffeinated state, appearing slightly concerned for the boy.

I exhale an airy laugh. "That's Jonah. He runs The Cardinal. You know, the school paper?"

"What's wrong with him?" Zach asks as Jonah moves in closer to our direction, stopping his stride to observe the erratic way Jonah is rushing toward us.

I come to a still next to him. "Oh, he's always like that. Too much caffeine."

Zach nods as if this is a reasonable excuse for Jonah's antsy behavior. "What's he want?"

I shrug, shooting Zach a baffled glance. "He's probably going to say something about how I hijacked the school paper. I didn't think he would be too happy about me publishing that article without permission."

Zach opens his mouth to speak, though Jonah reaches us before he can get a word out. I watch with interest as Jonah bends over slightly as he stands in front of Zach and I, one hand on his knee as the other clutches the coffee he grasps while he heaves to catch his breath.

"Sorry," Jonah pants, shaking shaggy strands of red hair from his eyes. "I walked really fast to catch up with you guys. Just—give me a minute."

Zach and I share an amused glance. I have to bite down on my bottom lip so as not to laugh aloud.

"Look," I begin to say, "I'm sorry about the article. I know I'm not supposed to write for the paper, but I felt like everyone deserved to know the truth about Jacob. So if you want to cut me from the paper, I completely—"

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about, actually," Jonah cuts me off mid-sentence, straightening on his feet once he has regained his composure. "Blythe. Your article was . . . amazing."

This revelation catches me off guard. I raise my eyebrows in surprise as I hold Jonah's stare, unsure of what to say in response.

"Your topic was outstanding. A real groundbreaker. Furthermore, your writing is incredible. I feel like I need to apologize for not giving you the chance to share your talent sooner. After reading your article . . . Well, I talked to the rest of the upperclassmen on the paper, and we all came to a unanimous decision. I'd love to have you write for The Cardinal. If you still want to, that is. I understand—"

"Yes!" I exclaim way too eagerly, blushing once I realize how enthusiastic I sound. "I mean, yeah. I'd love to write for The Cardinal. That would be awesome."

"Great!" Jonah grins. "I'll update everyone on your promotion at the next meeting. I'll have your first assignment ready when we get back from the break that starts next week. Sound good?"

"Sounds good," I agree with a nod. I converse with Jonah for a few moments longer before he departs, running off as he mumbles something about needing more coffee.

I can hardly contain my excitement once Jonah walks off. I'm beaming as I turn to Zach, who is already grinning down at me with glittering green eyes.

"Blythe!" he cries before I can utter a word. "This is huge! Wow!"

A squeal escapes my lips as Zach lifts me off the ground, hefting me into his arms and spinning me around before setting me back down on the sidewalk. He grasps my face in his hands and kisses me, leaving me breathless and weak in the knees.

"I'm so happy for you," he murmurs after breaking our kiss, resting his forehead against mine as he holds my stare unwaveringly. "You deserve this, Blythe."

"I have to tell Ivy!" I exclaim, bouncing on the balls of my feet. "And Talia! And my mom! And—Well, everyone!"

"We should celebrate," Zach suggests, taking my hand in his as we continue our stroll down the sidewalk. "What do you want to do, Miss Hotshot Journalist?"

I roll my eyes good-naturedly, shoving Zach's shoulder teasingly. "I want you to take me out," I say boldly, stopping Zach in his tracks once more. "On a date. A real one."

Zach can hardly contain a grin as he peers down at me. "Is that so?"

"It is," I retort, beaming up at him with a smile of my own. "So you better make it special."

Zach releases a faint chuckle. "Has anyone ever told you that you're bossy?"

I offer a shrug as we continue our walk once more. "Better get used to it, d'Angelo. That is, if you're planning on sticking around."

Zach smiles. "Oh, Tatum. I wouldn't trade you for the world."

"