35. Heart to heart

Previously on A Warrior's Heart,

 Lexi clapped her hands and said "It's official! I am riding the Handon ship. You don't have to do anything, Hope. Me and the girls will handle it." Lexi dragged Hope as she looked at the boys for help. Henry just shrugged and Liam made kissy faces at her.

_____________________________________________________________________

 It was evening now and Elenora was in the town square, sitting on a bench which was made in memory of her parents, just like how it was done for Sheriff Forbes.

Dear diary,

                     sometimes I really imagine how life would be if mom and dad were still alive. The kids would have gotten to spend time with their grandparents and vice versa. But, I couldn't be more grateful for having two fathers in my life. Every time I sit on this bench, it feels like yesterday when we used to watch movies together in the town square with mom, dad, Tyler, Elena, Caroline, Bonnie, Jeremy and Matt. But, I still feel guilty for not being in Mystic Falls when dad died. I could have saved him. Maybe de-spelled the device myself. Or maybe there was nothing I could do. All I hope is that they found peace.

 - E.L.S

She finished writing as she looked at Liz Forbes' bench. Ella closed the journal and looked around and smiled at kids who were playing and running around.

"You still keep a journal." Came a voice from next to her as she sighed.

"Klaus." She said as she looked up at him.

"Can I sit here if your parents don't have a problem with it?" Klaus asked her as she fake smiled at the joke.

"My dead parents don't have a problem, but their very alive daughter does." Ella replied as she glared at him.

Klaus sat next to her and watched the kids running around. They sat there in comfortable silence for a few minutes when Elenora decided to break it.

"I think you have better things to do in your free time instead of watching children play." Elenora said, not looking at him.

"Or, maybe apologizing to someone is something I wish to do in my free time today, love." Klaus replied, looking at her.

Elenora sighed and looked at him.

"Fine. Go ahead. Apologize." She said as she gestured for him to speak.

"I want your forgiveness, for cheating on you, for leaving you, for threatening the lives of your loved ones, for everything. I still love you with all my heart. But, you are married to someone else and you are happy. All I want for you is to be happy, even if it's not with me. I want to get to know our children. I don't intend on replacing their father, but I just want to know them and be a part of their lives." Klaus finished, looking at Elenora for a reaction.

Elenora thought for a moment.

"You know, I never thought you would apologize to me like, ever. It's good to know that your love for your daughter is greater than your ego. I'm pretty sure she gave you a pep talk this morning." Elenora replied as she smiled at him.

"She did." He replied, smiling back.

"I forgive you. I am usually a very angry person who doesn't forgive people easily. But, it's really good that you're changing for Hope, for her happiness. She's an amazing kid who deserves the world. And yes, I am really happy and thanks for not ruining it." Ella replied as Klaus smiled widely at her, a smile that reminded her of her son Liam.

"As far as the kids are concerned, give them some time. It's not easy for them. They are very stubborn, just like you. Henry is slightly more calm and thoughtful compared to Lexi and Liam. But if someone hurts his family, he acts just like you. Lexi paints, by the way. The other two don't. They don't understand the point of painting things when you could just have them in reality. She also won Miss Mystic falls last year." Elenora told him, giving him a little insight on the kids' lives. Klaus just kept smiling while listening to the whole thing.

After another brief moment of silence, Elenora asked "Why did you kill Hayley?"

Klaus looked at her with an emotionless face.

"She tried to take Hope away from our family even before, when Dahlia was there. She manipulated my own siblings into daggering me. She tried getting rid of Hope while my siblings were in coffins and I was in a dungeon. She bossed around New Orleans like she owned the city when she was pregnant and put Hope in danger many times. The only reason she wasn't dead was because she was carrying a Mikaelson baby. But, the worst of it all was when I just stood there and watched her abuse my daughter as she manipulated all of us into thinking you were a threat to Hope's life. She made me feel like a faulty father." Klaus said, looking straight ahead at the clock tower.

Elenora sat there, processing all of that information. Even though she knew this, it was odd if you thought about it.

"Why? I thought she didn't do teen drama." Elenora said, remembering the werewolf's remark to Caroline.

"I don't know. But whatever that was, it surely wasn't teenage jealousy." Klaus said as he looked at her.

The two sat in comfortable silence for a few more minutes as Elenora grabbed her bag and stood up.

"This was fun, but I have some work to do." She said as she looked at him.

"I promise you, love, my family will not bother you again." Klaus said standing up.

"Thank you." Elenora replied smiling at him. She walked away as she could feel his eyes on her back.

(So there's a reason she forgave him quicker than you thought she would. It'll be revealed soon.)

**********

"Hey! A little higher. God, you know what, let me do it." Lexi said as Jed hanged some sparkly lights.

"You know Lex, I could actually work better if you stopped hovering over me like a hawk." Jed replied turning towards Lexi on the stool.

Lexi ruffled her blonde hair and said "It's my sisters' miss mystic falls, ok. I need everything to be perfect. I remember how hard they worked last year. I need to do the same. So, chop chop! Work faster!"

Hope, who was looking at her tired sister, walked towards her.

"Why don't you two take a break while I take over?" Hope asked Jed and Lexi.

"Um, yeah I guess. Can you do all this by yourself?" Jed asked, looking around and smiled when he spotted familiar curly hair on the couch.

"Hey Landon! Can you take over?" Jed called as Landon nodded and jogged over.

Lexi dragged Jed and walked away while Hope and Landon continued decorating, glancing at each other occasionally. Lexi and Jed, happy that Lexi's plan worked, high-fived and walked towards the smoothie station to get some smoothie.