Chapter 1- The Beginning

I sat on a bench in the gardens attempted to read one of the few books I'd managed to sneak from the library. I felt someone watching me, but when I looked around... no one was there. I kept feeling the eyes on me, and looked up instead of around. I noticed a tall black-haired man in the window to father's office. His dark eyes watching me, giving me a feeling I haven't felt before. I wasn't uncomfortable or anything, but I found myself staring at him as well. Just something about him... 

I was drawn to him. I wanted to get up and go see who he was, but he jumped a bit and turned away then left the window. I saw father replace him, and gave me a strange look. I looked back down at my book, blushing a bit at how handsome the black-haired man was. I looked back up to see father wasn't in the window anymore and was watching, hoping the man would go back in the window. They were in a meeting so I doubt it. 

"I didn't know you knew how to read, Darcy," A woman my age startled me, and I nearly tossed the book in the bushes afraid of being caught with it. "Penny!" I gasped trying to catch my breath, "I- I thought you were-," "My mother? Fortunately, no," Penelope chuckled. She had beautiful blonde ringlets and crystal blue eyes. She stopped for a moment and looked at me.

"So you know how to read?" Penny asked. "Well... a little," I replied. "I see, I was reading that book properly at ten, and I noticed you spent too long on the same page," She frowned, "Did Nan teach you?" "A little, but she never got to finish teaching me. I wish father would let Nan come back," I frowned. "Me too, but I- I could teach you," Penny offered with a smile. "I wouldn't want you to get into trouble with Mistress Lila," I frowned shaking my head. 

"Oh sister, you do not have to worry about that soon enough. Father will be home more with this treaty, which means he will likely witness- first hand- the way mother has been treating you," Penny assured. "I wish he would be. He always gets upset when I don't attend his parties, but it's not my fault," I sighed. "Father loves you very much, you know. He just doesn't know," Penny gave me a reassuring smile, "He's doing this for us." "Yeah, I suppose. I don't mind the small chambers, but- I just wish he'd see me every once in a while," I frowned. 

"Darcy, we both get the same amount of attention from father. He's too busy, but he's been working with the Shadownox clan and the White Fang pack for a treaty. From what I hear, it's becoming very successful," Penny smiled, "And that Roman is very handsome." I rolled my eyes, "Of course, you would like the King of Vampires! What would father say?" "He's working for peace in Westhaven, I don't think he'd mind all that much," Penny chuckled. 

"So I didn't do anything to upset father?" I asked looking back at her. "Of course not! You have done nothing wrong, Darcy. I promise," She gave me a hug and a reassuring smile, "Trust me when I say, everything is about to change... and not just for Westhaven." 

"Penelope Coletti!" We both jumped at the older woman's screech. "Uh oh, give it to me!" Penny said taking the book for herself, "Now hide." I quickly got into the bushes just before Mistress Lila turned the corner. "Yes mother?" Penny asked looking at the older golden blonde woman with dark blue eyes. The color nearly left them as the kindness has left her soul. Lila gasped dropping the front of her mustard light yellow dress. She always wore bright colors to be the center of attention, "Is that a book?!" 

"Um- Yes mother. You said I could do whatever I wished with my free time," Penny replied. "How many times have I told you? An educated woman is a-," "'boring woman'. Yes yes, mother. Is there something you wanted of me?" Penny replied. "Men don't like boring women," Lila snarled ignoring Penny's remark. "Father doesn't seem to mind it," Penny smirked. I pursed my lips expecting Lila to redden her cheek. 

"You dare insult me! Your father will hear of this, Penelope!" "Oh, mother. You're just going to tell him it was Darcy who said it, and this time... He isn't going to believe you," Penny replied, making Lila redden with anger. "I ought to have you whipped, you ungrateful brat," Lila snarled, "Speaking of ungrateful brats... Where is that useless sister of yours? She wasn't in her room."