Chapter 5- Along came the darkness

Thomas healed very quickly, as I said he would. I took as best care of him over the few days it took for him to heal since Lycan's heal quickly. He was excited when I finally said it was safe for him to shift into his human form. The first thing he did was pull me into a hug and thank me for saving his life.

Over the next few months, he and I became closer and closer. I waited patiently for the proposal I was hoping for. I loved Thomas. He respected me and made me feel safe when he was around. I only hope that he loved me as much as I have grown to love him.

Those few months were not of just the two of us. Penny taught me how to read and write. My ability to pick things up quickly worked to my advantage. Alyssa taught me what I am to do as Matron of the coven, and I got to meet the other witches as well. They were all very nice, and I got really used to the routine of being around them more. Time really made it easy.

Nearly a year after being elected Matron of the Grey River Coven, I was headed home as I did every night. The ride was cold and slow because of the late December snow. I watched out the window and frowned when I saw that the snow had begun to fall again.

The carriage then came to a stop, and I prepared for the cold air when the carriage driver to open the door. "My lady?" He said knocking. "Yes?" "My lady I'm afraid we might have to stay in town this evening. The carriage might not make it in the snow. We could end up trapped," He said. I sighed and got out of the carriage and pulled my coat tight.

"You go on then, sir. I'll walk from here," I replied. "My lady! That's- You could catch your death out here in the snow," He frowned shocked. "I will be alright good sir. Don't you fret about me," I assured and began my walk the rest of the way home. It was a long walk, but I at least had my magic to keep me warm. I could use it when he turned around and left.

It wasn't long before he was out of site, and I used my magic to warm myself so I could make it through the cold snow that was up to my waist as I walked. I use more magic to blow the snow aside to give me an easy path to walk home.

In what felt like hours, I found myself finally shutting the door to the manor behind me and running over to the fireplace in the parlor room that was off the entrance hall as I took off my scarf and jacket. "You're finally home! I was afraid you wouldn't make it home due to the snow," Father said walking in and hugging me.

"Driver stopped about halfway home. I walked the rest of the way. I hope he made it back to town safely," I replied. "We'll know once the roads clear," He sighed letting go. "Is Penny upstairs?" I asked. "Yeah, she's home safely, and you have a guest," He replied, "Wait here."

"Yes Father," I nodded a bit and he left the room. Moments later, Thomas walked in straightening his shirt. "Thomas!" I smiled widely and ran into his arms. He wrapped me in a hug warmer than the fire. "I missed you too, Darcy," He replied. "How did meeting go?" I asked pulling away to look at him.

I frowned when I saw a freshly stitched scar across his eye. "Oh no!" I clicked my tongue as I inspected it closer. I let a little magic leave my fingertips and heal the scar completely. "Oh. Thank you, my love," He smiled taking my hand and kissing it, "You didn't have to do that." "It was nothing for me to heal a simple scar. I take it things went well?" I asked sitting on the sofa to rest my feet from the walk.

"Ah yes actually. They melded perfectly. You've no idea how many people wouldn't mind following the treaty if they knew we were serious," He replied. "I do actually. This evening the coven took on six new 'gifted' members," I explained. "Six!" He seemed shocked, "You ought to be careful about taking in just anybody." "I know. Penny and Alyssa do extensive checks on their history and backgrounds. Where they're from. You can get a lot done quickly with magic," I explained.