Chapter 2- The Party

"Okay, now I want you to be very still while I work on getting your hair ready for bed," Penny said as we sat on the bed in our night gowns. She started to brush my ankle length brown hair. She started to massage something into my hair and scalp and then pulled it into a thick loose braid. "You have such beautiful hair, I hope to bring attention to that tomorrow," She said after the hour or more long process of caring for it. 

As she was finishing up the braid there was a knock on the door. "Girls?" Father asked from the other side. "Yes father? We are dressed for bed," Penny smiled, and he opened the door. "How are you two getting along in here?" He asked walking in. "We are just about ready for bed," Penny chuckled. "Well, I won't stay long. Just thought I'd see you two to bed," He smiled as he walked over to us. He gave each of us a hug and a kiss on the cheek. 

"I love you, father," Penny said as he pulled away. "I love you, father," I smiled after receiving mine. "I love you both," He said, "You both look beautiful." "Father, we're in our night gowns," Penny rolled her eyes. "You girls always look beautiful," He chuckled. "Thank you father," Penny smiled. "Oh! and I have a gift for Darcy," He said. "You do?" I asked smiling a bit. "Yes, in regards to our earlier conversation," He pulled something small out of his pocket, "A locket. It belonged to your mother." 

He handed it to me. It was a small silver locket that had a small flower on it. "It's a Lotus. Your mother was very different from other witches," He explained sitting on the bed next to me. He showed me how to open it and there was an old picture of him on one side. "Is that you?" I giggled at how much older he looks now than in the picture. "Oh! Let me see!" Penny said leaning over my shoulder to see, "Oh my! You look so old now!"

"Ha ha! Laugh it up girls, we can't all stay young and beautiful forever," He chuckled. Then he pointed to the other side to a young brunette woman with brown eyes. She was holding a baby. "That woman there is your mother, and the baby is you," He said, "I had the picture done to keep her close." "She's beautiful," Penny smiled a bit, "Why didn't you marry her?" "It's a long story, but Anne was betrothed to someone else. She had a duty to him. He ended up dying before the wedding. However, I had already married Lila by that time," He explained. "I'm sorry, Father," I frowned. 

"My dear, you apologize too much. Never apologize for existing. You are a blessing in my life. Of course, you remind me of your mother, but that is a gift to me. You two girls are the best things that has ever happened to me, and I apologize immensely for not being here. I'm here now, and I will get everything the way it should be," He assured hugging us both at the same time. "Your locket," I said handing it to him. "It's yours. I have all the memory I need of your mother just by looking at you," He assured. 

"Thank you. I will treasure it," I smiled as he helped me hang it around my neck. It rested on my chest, and I looked at it. "Father, you said mother was different from other witches. What does that mean?" I asked. "You'll find out one day when you're ready," He assured. Then he gave us another kiss on our cheeks, "Goodnight girls." "Goodnight father," Penny and I said at the same time. He left the room after dimming the lantern. 

"It's gorgeous," Penny said looking at the Lotus on my locket excitedly. "Thank you," I smiled. "Come on, we need lots of rest for tomorrow," She said. "You're right," I smiled curling up under the blanket. She did the same, and I just laid there holding the locket. This one piece of connection to my real mother. The closest to her I may ever get. I watched the fire dance around the fireplace until I could no longer hold my eyes open.

------------------------

"Alright, Darcy. Let's get that hair up for the party," Penny chuckled sitting me down at the table. I watched through the mirror as she worked on my hair. She was already ready for the party in a red satin dress with black embroidering. Her golden blonde hair was pulled up in a clean and unique updo with little ringlets hanging around her face. She'd gotten ready earlier than she normally would, so she could get me ready.