Chapter 3- The Conclave

I was being dragged by my hair across the ground, while trying to fight whoever had a hold of it. I cried out in pain, and I was losing my breath almost completely. I was gasping for air, only to be unable to get any air in. "Get your hands off of her!" I heard Thomas yell. I could hear that he was scuffling with someone else. "Please let me go," I begged as I tried to keep up with the pacing, "I- I can't breathe." 

"I will not let Annetta's whore child bring this family down!" Lila snarled revealing that it was her that had a hold of me. Which means that it was likely her personal guard that was stopping Thomas from helping me. 

"Let her go! Now!" I heard Sir Thomas again. He was having a hard time with the guards preventing him from getting to me. I heard large heavy doors open as I tried and failed to take in some air. There were multiple gasps and the music stopped. "Mother! What are you doing?!" Penny yelled. 

Then I was tossed to the floor to gasp for air with no one able to help me. I stayed down and tried to calm myself so I could breathe. The corset was just too tight, and I was about to start clawing it off of me. There were just too many people around I'd be indecent in front of if I did. 

"I told you, husband! Your disgrace of a bastard child whoring around... Just like her mother! She is out of line this time!" Lila snarled. "You are out of line! Sir Thomas had my permission to escort my daughter through the gardens. She is not your responsibility! She is not your daughter! You had absolutely no right to put your hands on her! You have embarrassed her, and you have embarrassed me!" He retorted back. 

"Husband!" "Do not call me that, Lila. By tomorrow evening, we will be divorced. You have insulted me and my family for the last time," He snarled, "Guards. Escort her up to the rooms to pack her things. Make sure she actually leaves my property." The guards escorted her away from the ballroom, as I continued to gasp for air. 

"My Lord! She can't breathe!" Thomas informed. "Let him to her please!" I heard father say, and footsteps rushing over to me. Not a moment later, I felt someone's hand caress my cheek. "Lady Darkas?" Thomas frowned looking at me. "Ca-can't b-breathe," I tried really hard to speak and tell him. My vision was blurring as I was losing consciousness. 

"The Corset! She said she was having trouble with the corset in earlier," Thomas said. "My Lord, we must get her upstairs and take it of her," Sir Roman said. "She doesn't have time," Thomas frowned. I felt him pull me to him in a hug. Then the ties on my corset were cut in one swift move. 

Finally! I was able to take in a deep breath. I managed multiple deep breaths. "That's it, Lady Darcy. Just breathe," Thomas assured as he just held me. I sobbed a bit, and he pet my hair, "It's over now. It's over." "Roman, could you help me get my jacket off," Thomas asked as he adjusted to take it off. Roman helped him and he wrapped it around me to protect my modesty. 

I soaked in the warmth of his jacket and managed to calm down. When I had finally calmed to light sniffles, he picked me up off the floor. "Lady Penelope, if you will show me to her room, I'll carry her there," Thomas said. "Of course. Follow me," Penny replied. Thomas carried me up the stairs to where Penny led him to her room, and he set me down on her bed. 

"This is my room, but she's sharing with me for a few nights," Penny said. "Good. I will feel more comfortable leaving, knowing that she'd be under constant watch," He replied. "You're more than welcome to stay the evening, Sir Thomas, if you're that worried about her," I heard father offer. "I'm sure Jacob will understand," Roman said, "Go on and stay the evening, Old friend." 

"Alright, I will stay and make sure she is okay. Roman's right, I wouldn't be able to walk out of here with her like this, even if I tried," Thomas replied. "Alright, for the moment. I need everyone to clear out, so that I may get her into her nightgown," Penny said. "Of course," Thomas said pressing a small kiss to my cheek and reluctantly walking away. I heard three heavy footsteps leave the room, and Penny got to work on undressing me.