Who I Used to Be

Edited 6/7/22.

A/N: This chapter contains mild swearing, implied sexual content, implied alcohol use, and implied homophobia.

***

A high pitched bird song is the first thing Marshall hears when he wakes up. He doesn't open his eyes right away; instead, he soaks up his environment through his other senses.

Chirping from outside is muffled as the windows are closed. He can tell that blackout curtains are keeping the room dim. With small wisps of light being seen through closed eyelids, that must mean sunlight is peeking through the upper sections of the large pieces of fabric. Gentle snores and deep, even breathing fills the otherwise silent bedroom. There's still a faint aroma of sex in the air.

The vampire is wrapped in warmth. His legs are tangled with a second pair underneath the blanket. A limp arm is wrapped around his waist. Fingertips graze the skin of his bare back. A firm bicep rests in the crook of his neck. The hard muscle keeps his head propped up instead of a pillow. A heated palm can be felt on the back of his head.

Marshall's nose makes contact with Paul's chest every time the shifter inhales. Soft pecs also act as makeshift pillows for the older male. He's partially held in place by his lover's head resting atop his own.

The soft beating of Paul's heart is what Marshall focuses on for a few minutes. He believes it's something that should be appreciated.

When he finally opens his eyes, his gaze immediately settles on a necklace of light hickeys along the tan skin of the wolf's throat and lower collarbone. The vampire looks over the fading marks before pulling his head back. He's careful to move slowly to not disturb his partner.

Once Paul is fully settled on the pillow, Marshall looks up. He takes in the calm expression on the shifter's face.

His lips are slightly parted in the middle. Soft exhales tingle the skin of Marshall's face. A gentle hand cups the moldable flesh of a warm cheek. Although still asleep, Paul leans into the touch.

The vampire gives a chaste kiss to lightly chapped lips before releasing them. He settles back against another pillow. A quiet sigh escapes him, and he goes back to sleep.

*

The next time Marshall wakes up, it's to light kisses all over his face. He smiles. A deep chuckle meets his ears, and the kisses pick up speed. His eyes reopen. They're met with a teasing expression on Paul's face, the male basking in natural sunlight coming in from parted curtains.

"Morning, Marshmallow."

"Morning, baby," a gruff, raspy voice answers. "Sleep well?"

"Definitely- best night's sleep I've had in forever."

"Same here."

Paul gives one last kiss before pulling back. He sits on one of his legs, and the other dangles over the edge of the bed. "It's a little after eleven. I already went to the bathroom and things like that- I have a spare toothbrush out for you. Whenever you're ready, I'd like to draw a bath for us. I didn't get the chance to spoil you rotten after we had sex since we fell asleep. I'd like to do so at some point."

"Such a gentleman." Marshall laughs. "I'm good to go now."

Paul nods. He pulls his boyfriend up into a sitting position. They share a delicate, long kiss.

Both males rise to their feet and make their way to the bathroom, neither of them bothering to get redressed. A firm hand gives a light slap to Marshall's ass as he walks over to the sink. Without turning around, he flips Paul off over his shoulder. The gesture is met with a hearty laugh.