Instinctual Development

Edited 6/16/22.

A/N: This chapter contains swearing, implied sexual content, and graphic violence.

***

"Y'know, when you and Paul said you'd be living together, I expected to accidentally walk in on you guys maybe once or twice. You know what I didn't expect? To catch you guys in the act almost every time I go over there." Jared shivers in disgust. "You guys fuck like bunnies- I can never sit on that couch ever again."

Marshall snickers. "If that's how you feel, then you shouldn't touch the dining table, the front door, the carpet, the bathroom counter. We've fucked all over the house, dude. You can only avoid so much."

Jared fakes a gag in response to the very true statement. He gives a light shove to Marshall, the vampire leaning to the side in mock pain.

The two are sitting on the porch waiting for Paul to finish up in the bathroom. Emily is in the kitchen getting some cookies together. She's currently combining dry and wet components to mix them. Sam is off getting the two newest members of the Uley pack for a group perimeter run.

Marshall hasn't met these two guys yet, but he's prepared for an awkward first encounter with them. He's lucky that aside from some initial discomfort, Sam and Jared have been open and accepting. Though, that's probably because of how much they respect Paul. They trust his judgment; they know that he wouldn't just talk up a vampire if he didn't have good reason to do so.

These two new members may know Paul to an extent, but they don't know a thing about Marshall. He's hoping their meeting will go well. Realistically speaking, however, he's prepared if it doesn't.

"You're thinking really loud," Jared pipes in. "What's on your mind?"

"I just- I know you guys accept me because I'm an imprint, but that doesn't mean that everyone's going to be so welcoming. I just don't want my presence to cause problems. I don't want tensions to rise just because I'm here."

"I don't think you have anything to worry about. It is a strange situation, but people just need to get to know you the way we did. I'm sure things will be fine."

"...I don't want to be the reason another family breaks up." Marshall's voice is quiet.

He stiffens at the sensation of a warm hand settling on his arm. Looking up, the vampire makes eye contact with Jared.

The shifter has a serious expression on his face. His lips are pursed. His thicker eyebrows are furrowed. He doesn't seem mad though. If anything, he appears bothered by the comment.

"Paul only told me a bit about what happened. He didn't tell me everything for the sake of allowing you to keep some privacy. Still- your family breaking up wasn't your fault. And you just existing- that's not going to cause the pack to break up. We're family, and we care about each other. You're included in that. Understand?"

Marshall nods. He may not be the closest with Jared, but the vampire knows an honest statement when he hears one.

He aims to give a light thanks in response, but stops when a pair of arms grab him from behind. They wrap around his waist. Large, firm hands settle against his chest over his heart. A delicate kiss can be felt atop his head.

"He's right, Marshmallow."

A familiar deep voice makes a grin erupt onto the vampire's face.

The trio straighten themselves out, and Paul takes his place between his best friend and boyfriend. Hands of differing temperatures become intertwined. Marshall takes it upon himself to lean his head against his mate's shoulder. It's a pleasant temperature.