Bark vs. Bite

Edited 7/5/22.

A/N: This chapter contains references to prior abuse/manipulation/homophobia.

***

It's sunny today. Not many clouds are present, so the radiant blue of the open sky is visible. With it getting closer to the beginning of autumn, the air is cooler than it has been recently. Surrounding trees are starting to lose their leaves, while others have small sections beginning to change color. It smells like dying foliage—a familiar musky, almost sweet aroma.

The narrow road leading up to the Cullen household is covered in said dying plants, along with the occasional pine cone. A few cars are parked off to the side. They're all unoccupied.

Well, all but one.

Golden eyes look up at the large house from inside of Paul's Jeep. The two are waiting patiently in silence. Marshall's lips are pursed, and his body is stiff.

He's uncomfortable being back so soon after what happened when he was last here.

The vampire can pick up the scents of the other Black and Uley pack members. It gives him comfort, but only a little. He can also pick up an additional scent of sweet copper, along with a new smell. The best way he can describe it is like a muted cream-like aroma. It's a bit similar to how Bella's scent was when she was still human. So by process of elimination, the natural fragrance must belong to Renesmee.

Due to the young hybrid being Jake's newly found imprint, all parties have decided to call a truce. With another vampire being an imprint to a wolf, Sam thought it'd be best for everyone to get along. The coven and packs are still separate entities, but now everyone will be acting under the same cause. Everyone is on the same side again.

In order to patch up the recently strained relationships caused by the pregnancy, the Uley pack have come to meet a newly reborn Bella, as well as her daughter.

And Marshall is nervous.

Not necessarily because of Renesmee—he's nervous about seeing his ex coven mates. They really haven't been on good terms. They haven't spoken for a long time.

He doesn't know what to expect when he walks through that door.

"We could always leave, you know." Paul's voice is gentle. "We don't have to do this."

"We do though." Marshall sighs. "Ness is Jake's imprint, so she's part of the pack. I may not love her parents, but she hasn't done anything wrong. She's just a baby- she shouldn't have to be treated differently just because of my distaste for her other family members."

"I mean, we could always leave and just come back another day. It'd give you some time to better prepare yourself."

"We're already here, so we may as well get it over with." He looks up at the house in uncertainty. "Just... be here for me."

"Always, Marshmallow."

With that, the couple exit the car. It locks when Marshall crosses over to the driver side of the vehicle. A smaller, more slender hand is taken into a larger one. Clothed arms rub against each other as they walk side by side.

Footsteps are slow and cautious. There's an atmosphere of unease lingering. Sounds of talking and laughter can be heard coming from the second floor. Marshall takes in a deep breath when he rings the doorbell.

Two pairs of golden eyes meet through tinted glass. Esme speeds up to greet them. She isn't gentle when launching herself into her son's arms.

"Oh, honey, I've missed you."