An Evening With Esme

Edited 6/20/22.

A/N: This chapter contains mild swearing.

***

A pair of golden eyes are glued onto distant forest terrains outside of the window. Trees are passing by at quick speeds as Marshall is currently sitting in the car. He's fiddling with the chipped paint on his nails. A podcast is playing on the radio at a low volume. He's only half listening to it because his mind is elsewhere.

A few days after returning from Bora Bora, Marshall received a call from Esme of all people. Considering how things previously ended between the coven members, he was rightfully cautious in answering the phone. He couldn't help but remember though, how Esme was the only person to not make a huge deal out of everything when they last saw each other.

She knew he had a boyfriend. She knew that Marshall was in love. She even knew before the big reveal that his scent was overtaken by someone else's. And yet, she didn't seem to mind. Esme was more concerned about having her son back in her life, she made the cognizant decision to ignore her discomfort about the situation. It was what led to Marshall actually answering her call.

He was surprised to hear her ask about Paul. It wasn't done in a derogatory fashion either; she seemed genuinely curious. After talking for a bit, Esme asked if she could set up a date for her to meet with them.

Marshall was immediately against it.

But Paul chimed in and was open to the idea. It really had to do with some previous exposition given about Esme's character. She seemed like a nice person; and Paul figured if he had to meet anyone from the Cullen family, he'd rather it be her.

That's why a short drive is being taken. The couple are meeting Esme at a local café in Port Angeles. Paul's been to it before. He claims the spot to be intimate with enclosed seating to keep conversations private. It seems like an appropriate place for Marshall's mother to meet his long term boyfriend. What isn't appropriate to the younger vampire—in his opinion, anyway—is how he seems to be the only nervous party here.

He can't pretend like everything is just peachy. His feelings are still hurt from what was said at the last coven meeting. Talking about his relationship with his family is still a sore spot. Marshall knows that Esme is a bit more open than the others. He knows that she wouldn't have asked to meet if she wasn't serious about her reasoning—whatever it may be.

Still though, he's afraid that things will turn sour. He's afraid of getting his relationship bashed even further.

Marshall's still feeling zenned out from Bora Bora. He doesn't want to lose that invigorating sense of tranquility because of his family again.

He turns his attention away from the window when he hears the station change. The radio-friendly version of Say So by Doja Cat comes on. He looks over at Paul in confusion.

"Why'd you stop your podcast? It wasn't finished."

"You may not be saying anything, but I can see you freaking out from here," Paul responds. "I know singing helps you feel better. And I know this song makes you feel like a badass bitch. So give yourself a moment to calm down. If anything, music will distract you until we get there. It may not be a lot, but it's something."

Marshall melts at the sentiment. A fat kiss is given to a presented cheek in return.

He leans back into his spot, turning the radio up. Windows are rolled down to let in some fresh air. The smell of rain wafts into the car.

In his seat, Marshall starts dancing with his upper body. His torso sways from side to side. His head bobs in accordance with the beat. He snaps his fingers. Little rippling mannerisms are made with his hands. Quiet humming turns into full blown singing.