Betrayal

Edited 6/19/22.

A/N: This chapter contains swearing and referenced homophobia.

***

In polite terms: Marshall is rather infuriated with his coven mates right now.

In more brutally honest terminology though: he's pissed the fuck off with them.

He's currently on his way to the Cullen household because his adoptive family members are back in town.

Not to visit, but to stay.

They've already moved back into their house; which has barely even been able to settle under a thin layer of dust.

According to Rosalie, all of this started because Alice had a vision that Bella tried to kill herself. Long story short, Edward was misinformed; he tried to get himself killed; he almost got Bella killed; and now everyone is back in Forks with the Cullens staying permanently.

Great.

Now, it isn't that Marshall is upset that his coven mates are back. If anything, he's hoping their reunion will be more lighthearted than he's expecting it to be. He's just a bit—okay, verypissed off at both Edward and Bella.

Marshall is still holding a grudge in terms of the argument that took place months prior. However, he's more pissed at the fact that the family leaving Forks at all, which was Edward's idea, was all for naught. They weren't even gone a year. He wasn't even gone a year. Yet Edward came crawling back because of a situation he didn't even bother making sure was real. For someone who wanted nothing to do with his mate, and for wanting her to move on, he sure caved pretty fast.

And then there's Bella.

Marshall's pissed at her for breaking Jake's heart.

A few days ago, after she left to confront Edward and the Volturi, Jacob opened up about his feelings for Bella. He opened up about how he was there for her through tears and sadness and anger. How he made her smile when she thought she never could again. How the two almost kissed multiple times—all for her to just drop him at the beck and call of Edward.

If Bella just needed a friend, Marshall can understand that. What he doesn't understand is the fact that she purposely led Jake on, knowing that she still harbored feelings for Edward.

That isn't fair for anyone involved.

If he's being honest, Marshall doesn't even want to see the two troublemakers. But the family requested for his presence at the house. For what, he's unsure. Considering it probably has to do with a newly reacquainted couple—well, Marshall feels like he's in for a rough night.

He pulls up to the brightly lit house. His car is parked off to the side rather than the driveway in case he needs to leave quickly. He's surprised to see Esme waiting patiently on the front porch. She's sitting on one of the middle stairs with her hands clasped in her lap.

The older woman doesn't look very different in comparison to when they last saw each other. The biggest difference is her hair, which has gotten longer. It also looks a little darker, but that could just be a trick of low lighting.

Esme's expression is kind as always. Her eyes hold a glimmer of excitement. It's something that actually makes Marshall calm down a bit.

He can admit that, while his relationship may be steadily straining with the others, Esme is still the benevolent mother figure he's always wanted. The mother figure he's always needed. Even with the circumstances being what they are, it's good to see her again.