By Any Means

Edited 7/10/22.

A/N: This chapter contains graphic violence.

***

It's snowing.

An open field is covered in a fresh coating of piled flakes that fall from a light gray sky. Surrounding trees are caked with frost. They sway alongside biting wind.

Everyone is tense. Quiet. They have their collective attention on the other side of the field. Covens are splayed out in small groups. People are drumming their fingers together in physical displays of building anxiety.

Both wolf packs are hidden behind groups of pine trees. Marshall is standing among them.

He's clad in a pair of gray skinny jeans, boots, a thin sweatshirt, and his go-to leather jacket. Pale hands are wrapped around thin straps of a full backpack.

His jaw is clenched. Silent breaths are taken in to suppress an overwhelming fight or flight response.

Having fed off of his husband last night, Marshall's eyes have finally taken a darker shade of red.

It's menacing.

And predatory.

Even though the Volturi have yet to arrive, his face is pulled into a threatening sneer.

He takes a moment to look over at Paul.

The shifter is in his wolf form alongside the others. Brown eyes are unblinking. Silver fur dances with the wind against his body. His form remains still aside from small shifts caused by his breathing. His tail is puffed out in clear agitation.

Marshall approaches the wolf. Without a word, a cold hand is buried in warm fur. A few gentle caresses are given before the appendage freezes.

Ruby eyes dart in the direction of the opposing side of the field.

His nose is assaulted by sweet copper.

It's such a substantial group of vampires, the usual muted scent of human blood is more than amplified. The overwhelming mixture of smells is too much—it makes his nostrils burn.

Marshall is forced to look away in order to find reprieve. He's aided via an enveloping form of musk and dog. His sneer pulls into a grimace. Even when taking in his husband's fragrance, the intense stench of other vampires makes Marshall want to gag.

His bonding mark secretes equally strong pheromones. Like always, it helps make the situation less distressing.

He stands up straight.

Full attention from everyone is brought toward a peaceful treeline.

Moments continue to pass in uncomfortable silence.

It's broken by a crunching twig.

Multiple sets of feet can be heard walking along the fresh snow. Marshall swallows when the Volturi and their witnesses finally make an appearance.

A multitude of cloaked, hooded figures are seen walking as a group composed of all ruby eyed vampires. One set of familiar golden irises are among them. Differing complexions and tones of skin are hidden beneath black garments. The main Volturi members are walking triumphantly in front of everyone else.

Marshall notices Aro surveying the area, most likely for Alice. Other sets of ruby eyes look around to take in the smaller group of vampires. A few people even grin as they think the Cullens have only collected a minuscule gathering of witnesses.

A single howl is given from Sam. It's a signal for the packs to get involved.

Marshall holds his head up high when he breaks through the treeline. Previously excited faces turn shocked, and even afraid in response to both packs emerging.