You Know I Love You

Edited 6/16/22.

A/N: This chapter contains mild swearing, blood, and implied sexual content.

***

A deer is tackled before it even realizes what's happening. The creature lets out a frightened noise when its body makes contact with the ground. A sudden fight or flight response is short lived though, because Marshall snaps a fragile neck in a quick mercy killing. The corpse falls limp in his grasp, its head lulling to the side in the dirt. The vampire doesn't hesitate when he rips into the creature's exposed flesh.

He feels a light spurt near the outer edge of his mouth, but he pays no mind to it. Fast breaths escape Marshall while feeding. His tongue laps up any blood that his throat can't hold. Warmth runs down into his stomach with every gulp. He sighs in response to finally quenching his thirst.

It's been a few weeks since his last hunt, and an ever present burning in his throat has finally subsided. For now anyway.

Crunching leaves in the nearby vicinity catch his attention. He gulps one more time to swallow any blood pooling in his mouth. His face feels a bit dirty, but he doesn't care at the moment.

Marshall's head snaps in the direction of whatever is invading his space. A predatory hiss is given in warning. A threatening sneer falls immediately, however, when he notices Paul peeking from behind a tree.

Brown eyes are wide in genuine shock.

Marshall swallows stiffly. He looks down at his fresh kill and is overcome by a wall of shame, the vampire uncomfortable at being caught in such a frenzied state.

The back of his hand settles against his mouth. It's an attempt to hide his bloodstained features. He looks off into another direction to escape a piercing stare.

"Hey- I'm sorry- there's nothing for you to worry about." Paul's voice is gentle. "I was looking for you, but I didn't think you were out feeding. Are you done?"

Marshall nods.

"Is it safe for me to come over?"

He nods again.

Paul is still cautious when walking closer.

Marshall takes a cloth napkin out of his pocket to clean his face. His boot's sole makes contact with the deer's carcass. He kicks it away from him with a gentle slide of the foot. By the time he's back to his full height, he's joined by his boyfriend. A wide gaze is now boring into the drained corpse.

"I'm surprised I didn't see it putting up more of a fight."

"They never do." The vampire sticks his napkin back in his pocket. "I kill my prey before I feed off them."

"Why?"

"So they don't have to feel any pain."

Paul looks up, catching his lover's gaze. Golden eyes are as radiant as always, but there's a hint of shame still lingering beneath them.

Delicate hands are used to cup Marshall's face. The pad of the younger male's thumb runs along the edge of the vampire's mouth. A faint trail of blood is wiped away. The digit is then dragged over soft, plump lips.

"There's no need for you to be ashamed of anything. You need to eat- that's natural. If anyone should be apologizing, it's me. I caught you at a bad time. I didn't mean to make you feel bad."

Marshall shakes his head and offers a sheepish smile. "I just didn't want to scare you. I'm sure seeing me like that was a real turn off."

"Not at all- I actually thought seeing you in predator mode was kind of cool."