Introductions and Reunions

Edited 7/9/22.

A/N: This chapter contains mild swearing and implied sexual content.

***

"So you're actually leaving?"

"Yes. And I think it would be in your best interest to do so as well."

Marshall ripped his gaze away from the crashing waves in front of him. He wanted to find comfort in the gorgeous cliffside viewhe really did. But Alice's warning piqued his interest.

It also filled him with a harsh sense of terror.

She held tense eye contact with him. Her lips were pursed, and her fists were balled. She looked between Marshall and the silver wolf behind him with apprehension marring her features.

Her expression just made their meeting that much more heartbreaking.

"I can't say for certain how the future will play out," Alice warned. "I can't say whether or not you guys will actually need to leave- to hightail it out of here. But what I can say is that you should be ready to do so if things turn sour. Considering Aro's want for a confrontation, perhaps you should disappear just to be safe."

"...Okay." Marshall nodded in understanding. "Unfortunately, we can't leave right now- it'll make all of this more complicated. But we'll start getting things ready. If necessary, we'll leave after meeting Aro."

"Why risk such a troubling situation though?" Alice asked.

"He's going to find out about my relationship either way. Whether it be from me, or somebody else. He'll also probably find out, if he doesn't know already, that I'm not part of the coven anymore. It's relatively impossible to keep both of those things hidden. It'll just be easier if I come clean about it myself. If an actual fight breaks out though, we'll be ready to jet. It'll be difficult- but it's what has to be done."

"Are you really prepared to leave everyone behind?" Jasper added, the man standing behind his mate.

"If we have to. It may sound shallow or selfish-- but I can always rebuild my family. I'm prepared to do so if push comes to shove. I can't lose Paul. This situation is bleak regardless. We're going to lose people regardless. But if Paul and I are at least able to make it out together- that'll give us a semblance of hope."

"I understand." Alice placed a hand onto her brother's shoulder. "I'm sorry that I can't do more to help."

"You warning us is helpful enough. We're going to do what we can to keep each other safe. I hope you both are able to do so as well."

"...Is this the last time we'll see each other?"

"It could be."

Marshall didn't say anything else. He simply grabbed his siblings and pulled them into a tight embrace. Two sets of arms wrapped around his torso. Sweet copper invaded his nasal cavity. For once, it didn't bother him.

The need to say goodbye forced tears to build in his eyes instead.

"Despite the things that have gone on in the past, I just need you guys to know that I love you both. I'm hoping we'll meet again, but if we don't- if this is our last time seeing each other- I want you to know that you're still my family. Please, be careful. And stay safe."

*

Marshall is leaning against a tree a few yards from the Cullen household. He's waiting for Paul to finish redressing as the two decided to run over instead of driving.