Prologue

August, 2011

Louis Tomlinson and Liam Payne had been best friends since kindergarten, and ever since Louis could remember he had been trying to convince him they needed to take a backpacking trip after they graduated.

When they were 15, Liam finally agreed that it was a good idea, so they both got jobs, and saved every penny they made into their graduation trip. Their families weren't exactly poor, but weren't rich either, so neither of them had left the country, and even though it was scary, they were both very excited.

It was hard to save the money, but eventually their hard work paid off, because by the time they graduated, they had saved enough for a two month backpack trip across Europe. So the day after graduation, they got their rucksacks ready, and they began their journey.

And it was AMAZING.

And although they had to restrict themselves a lot when it came to what they ate, and had slept in the most filthy hostels, Louis didn't complain once, unlike Liam, and honestly, he was sure he had never smiled so much in his entire life.

But as the weeks went by, and Louis realized the trip was going to come to an end soon, and he would have to go back to England and attend University, he started to doubt his future plans, because he wanted to keep traveling.

That doubt soon became certainty, and the night before he and Liam were supposed to go back to England, Louis had made his decision.

So he gathered the courage, and he rang his mum, and he told her his decision.

There was denial, there was yelling, there were tears, but eventually, there was acceptance, although reluctant.

But Louis knew he had made the right decision for himself, there was no doubt in his mind, but there was one more person to tell.

The plane was taking off heading to England at noon, so at 10 in the morning, he and Liam got a taxi to take us to the Rome airport, which was where they were.

"There's our counter" Liam said pointing to the one that had their airline's logo.

"Liam, wait" Louis said, grabbing his arm before they could go.

"What?" Liam asked distractedly.

"I'm not coming with you" Louis told him.

"What are you talking about?" Liam frowned.

"I changed my ticket, I'm going to Portugal" Louis explained.

"Mate, I know you hate we didn't get to go there, but Uni starts in less than a week, you won't have enough time to get back and get settled" Liam contradicted.

"I'm not going to Uni" Louis confessed.

"What?" Liam frowned.

"That's my mum's dream for me, I don't want to go" Louis repeated.

"Yes, you do, you worked hard to get into Warwick" Liam argued.

"I know, but I did that for my mum, because I wanted to please her, but I never really wanted to go, you know my dream has always been to travel the world" Louis told his friend.

"And we did".

"No, we just saw a few countries, but there's so much more out there" Louis pointed out.

"And you'll get to see it, maybe next summer, and then once you graduate Uni and you get a good job you'll be able to have money and travel more" Liam argued.

"I don't want to waste my time and spend years sitting down in classrooms when there's an entire world out there waiting for me to see it" Louis reasoned.

"But you have to go to Uni" Liam insisted.

"No, I don't" Louis refuted "I'm going to travel, and I'm going to do that as long as I can".

"And how exactly will you pay for it?" Liam questioned "We barely have enough to make it back to England".

"I have my University fund" Louis answered.

"Louis, no, you can't use that money" Liam said, his eyes huge.

"Why not? It's mine, and I'm not going to Uni, so why not use it to accomplish my dream" Louis replied.

"But what will happen when in a year you come back to England, and you realize you need an education" Liam tried to reason.

"I won't be done traveling in a year, Liam".

"Well, then 2 years or however long it takes you, because you can't travel for the rest of your life, at some point you're going to want to settle down, maybe have a family, and you're going to regret wasting that money and not getting an education".

"It won't be wasted money, and I know I won't regret anything, because I don't want a traditional life, I've never wanted that" Louis explained.

Liam gave him a doubtful look, and Louis chuckled.

"I'll just get myself an explorer boyfriend out there, and we'll travel together for the rest of our lives" Louis said dreamily.

"There is nothing I can say to get you to change your mind, is there?" Liam asked defeated.

"No" Louis smiled.

"Your mum's going to kill you" Liam told him.

"I already told her last night, she didn't take it well, and she even told me that she wouldn't give me a single pound when I came back to England broke" Louis chuckled "But in the end she accepted it".

"I guess I have no choice but to accept it too" Liam told him.

"Mhmm" Louis nodded.

"I'm going to miss you so much, Louis" Liam declared, and gave him a hug.

"I'm going to miss you too" Louis said hugging back his best friend tightly.

"Send me postcards, okay? From wherever you are" Liam asked, once they let go of each other.

"I will" Louis smiled "And you better save money so you can visit me next summer wherever I am".

"I'll try" Liam smiled back

They hugged each other again, and Louis' eyes even watered when the final goodbye came and Liam had to go board the plane to go back home.

But not even once Louis doubted his decision, and despite the fact that he was a bit scared of the unknown, he knew there were a million adventures ahead just waiting for him, and he couldn't wait to experience them.

So when they called to board the plane that was going to start the adventure, he didn't hesitate to get on it, and he didn't look back.

--------------------------------

A.N. I wasn't going to write a prologue, but then I figured it would help give the story a better start.

Chapter 1 will take place 6 years later, and it will be up soon.

Please tell me your thoughts!

Xoxo