V

Louis' feet hurt.

This was the second day in a row that he had woken up early, and gone out to hand out his resume everywhere that he saw had a sign that they were hiring, or that they didn't, but accepted to take it anyway.

But he was surprised to see that in most places, they had taken one look at his bump (which had weirdly grown a lot overnight, and was peeking out from his clothes), and immediately had made a face that Louis knew meant they weren't going to call him for an interview.

He knew he couldn't really do much about it, so he kept on going, until his feet couldn't take it anymore. During his travels he had done A LOT more walking than this, but now that he was pregnant his feet got swollen after just a bit of walking, reaching a point where he decided to just take a break.

So he went into what looked a lot like an American Diner that he had been walking by, to be able to sit down, and have something hot, because it was freezing outside.

"Hi, go ahead and take a sit wherever you like, I'll be with you in a minute" a waiter told Louis just as he walked in.

"Thanks" Louis smiled a bit, and went over to an empty booth.

He felt relieved the second he sat down, and he wished he could take off his shoes, but he thought maybe his feet were so swollen he wouldn't be able to put them back on later, but he did undo the shoelaces.

He picked up the menu, and considered ordering a hot chocolate and a piece of cake, but he had already paid Liam for the bed, and he had bought clothes (thrift store clothes, but still) and groceries, and he also had to pay for rent and bills at the end of the month, and it seemed it was going to be tricky to get a job while pregnant, so he had decided not to waste money on unnecessary things, and hot chocolate and cake were that.

"Have you decided what you want?" the blonde waiter from before asked him.

"A cup of tea, please" Louis asked, because it was the cheapest.

"Just that?" the waiter wondered.

"Yes" Louis nodded.

"Coming right up" the waiter replied.

Louis took off his jacket, his beanie and his scarf because it was really warm in there and he was getting hot. Then he checked his phone, just in case anyone had called or emailed about an interview from the resumes he had handed out the day before, or even the ones he had just given out.

But nothing.

"Here's your tea"the waiter said, coming back a few minutes later, and taking a cup from the tray he was carrying.

"Thank you" Louis replied.

"You seemed sad and hungry, so I brought you pie as well" the waiter told him, and put a slice of apple pie on the table.

"Oh, uhm..." Louis hesitated, because it looked good, but he didn't want to pay for pie.

"It's on the house" the blonde waiter assured him.

"Thank you" Louis smiled at the kind gesture.

"No problem" the waiter smiled back "Let me know if you need anything else".