LXV

HARRY

Harry had fallen asleep on the armchair next to Louis' bed, but woke up startled when someone shook his shoulder very gently.

"Sorry" the nurse apologised.

"No, it's okay" Harry said as he rubbed his face, and look at the bed, where Louis was still asleep "Is everything okay?".

"Yes" the nurse smiled "They just called from the NICU saying you can go there now to see your daughter".

Harry felt so happy hearing that, that he quickly got up from the armchair, checked on Louis to see he was fast asleep, which he was, and then he asked the nurse where the NICU was.

He had to go one floor down to get there, and before he went inside, they made him wash his hands throughly, and then wear a paper gown over his own clothes.

"I have to warn you, before you go in there, that your daughter is very small, she has a little mask over her nose, a small feeding tube, and a few wires over her body, so be prepared" the NICU nurse warned him.

"Okay" Harry nodded.

The nurse told him to follow her, and Harry did, and he was shocked to see the tiny little babies inside those incubators, some of which looked quite well, but some seemed so fragile, Harry couldn't believe they were alive.

"Here's Naomi" the nurse told him stopping at the last incubator.

Harry walked up to it, and saw inside the incubator a very small and fragile baby girl, who was wearing just a nappy and a beanie, and was connected to a bunch of wires, but he managed to look through all of that, and see the beauty and miracle of that baby in front of him.

"Hi, Naomi" Harry whispered putting his hand over the clear glass "It's me, your daddy, and your mummy will be here as soon as he can".

"You can hold her hand if you want" the nurse offered.

"Really?" Harry asked surprised.

The nurse nodded and gave him a kind smile, then she opened a little round door on the side of the incubator, and told Harry to go ahead.

Harry didn't waste time, and he put his hand inside the incubator, and very carefully, he stroked his daughter's very tiny hand with just one finger.

It was amazing how a hand so, so small could be so perfect; she had all her fingers perfectly formed, and they were beautiful, everything about Naomi was beautiful.

"I love you so much, my baby girl" Harry told her with a smile "You're mummy and I's little miracle".

Naomi moved his hand a little bit, and Harry smiled, happy to see his daughter react, and when he put his finger under Naomi's hand, she held onto his finger.

"You're so strong, aren't you?" Harry told her "And you're going to go through this just fine, huh?".

"If things keep going as they are, in a few days you'll be able to hold her and do skin to skin contact during short periods at a time" the nurse explained.

"I can't wait for that" Harry said truthfully, while Naomi's tiny hand was still wrapped around his finger "So does that means she's still doing well?".

"Yes, very well" the nurse smiled "I've been working here for 12 years, and I can already tell she's a fighter".

"Yeah, she is" Harry smiled too as he stared at Naomi.

A while into his time in the NICU, Harry realized he wasn't the only parent there, every baby there had at least one person with them, and it made him feel a lot better knowing that all of those little babies had someone loving them and rooting for them.