LIII

The night Harry left, Louis cried himself to sleep.

He knew everything was his own fault, but he couldn't help how he felt, and he had been repressing his feelings for way too long, so in a way, it has felt liberating to be able to let them out.

The day after Harry left was Saturday, and Louis spent the day holding his phone in his hand, waiting for Harry to call him, and wondering if maybe he should call instead, and be the one who extended the first olive branch, to try to fix what was broken.

By the time Sunday came, Harry hadn't called, and neither had Louis, but by the time the afternoon arrived, he knew it really needed to be him who took the first step.

So he called.

And it rang, and rang, and rang.

"Hi" Harry picked up just about Louis was about to give up and end the call.

"Hi" Louis said back, and paused for a few seconds before he added "How are you?".

"I'm... okay" Harry answered "You?".

"I miss you" Louis said honestly "And so does Jules, he has been asking about daddy".

"Tell him I love him and that I'll see him soon".

"Why don't you come over to see him now? He would love that... and we could talk about us" Louis offered.

"I can't, I have to be in the airport in an hour" Harry answered.

"Oh" Louis said disappointed "When do you get back".

"Tuesday night" Harry answered.

"Maybe we could talk then? Are you going to come back home that day or to wherever you've been staying?" Louis wondered.

"I've been staying at my mum's house" Harry explained "And I don't know, Lou, I think we need to take this time apart to think about what we want, and then we can talk and try to figure things out".

"Yeah, you're right" Louis agreed.

"But while I'm gone, can you send me pictures of Jules like you always do?" Harry asked.

"Sure" Louis agreed, because he probably would have done it without him asking.

"Thanks" Harry replied "I guess we'll talk when I'm back".

"Yeah".

"Bye, Lou" Harry said, and hesitated a little before he added "I love you".

"I love you too, Harry" Louis replied, because he did, he loved him so much.

The phone call ended, and Louis' eyes filled with tears, because knowing that he and Harry were drifting apart made him feel broken.

He wanted so bad to make himself change his mind, to convince himself that he wanted all the things Harry wanted in life, so they could be happy and together.

But he couldn't, he had tried so hard, but he couldn't convince himself that a traditional family life was for him.

"Mummy" Julian called, and came into the room pouting, and he had tears in his eyes.

"What's wrong, little nugget?" Louis wondered.

He walked up to him and held him in his arms, and the toddler showed his mum his hand and two of his fingers were a little red.

"What happened?" Louis asked as he held his hand and inspected the fingers.

They was no broken skin, and Julian wasn't really crying, just sniffling a little, so he knew it couldn't be serious, and that he had probably bumped the fingers somehow.