Chapter 4

Elisha's POV

"What! Are you serious?" Bennet exclaimed, wiping away the tears of laughter with a serviette.

"I felt so bad for killing it so I prepared a mini funeral." I justified my actions, erupting into the same laughter as him.

It was currently 4pm and Bennet and I have been talking for a good two hours about my embarrassing childhood. The current topic is how I killed a mosquito and prepared a funeral for it at my backyard out of remorse.

It felt very natural and comfortable to speak to him but I couldn't shake off what Brielle had told me earlier.

"So tell me Mr Choi, how was your childhood?" I asked, getting tired of talking about myself.

"Good." He responded quickly and dryly. Obviously wanting to change the subject matter.

"Any embarrassing stories you have hidden behind your cool status"

I took a sip of my milkshake and watched him stare down at his own hands.

"I really don't like talking about my childhood." He confessed. "It was very traumatic to say the least. My mom passed away when I was 7 and she meant the world to me."

I nodded my head, signalling for him to continue.

"She committed suicide but for what reason, I don't know. Ever since then, I was raised by a lady called Fiona who was our housekeeper. She had the most generous and tender heart anyone could ever have. She was the first person to support me when it came to pursuing football."

His eyes and nose crinkled as he recalled the moment.

"I remember every day after school, she would fetch me at the school gate and take me to the park to play on the swings. When it was my birthday she made her famous red velvet cake, never forgetting to let me lick the spoon."

A faint but genuine smile crept on his previously saddened face but was shortly replaced with a frown.

"But unfortunately, on the 5th of March 2018, she was diagnosed with lung cancer and passed away the following year in November.We tried taking her to the best doctors around the world but her illness was very severe and couldn't be treated. The wound of my mother's death reopen and ever since then I become this unrecognisable monster. Playing with girls' hearts, drinking, smoking, partying and not really caring."

I couldn't believe that the playboy, heartthrob of the school carried this much pain with him but managed to hide it with a smile. His eyes held deep sadness that even he couldn't explain. It hurt my heart to want to help him but not know how.

"How's your relationship with your father?" I questioned, my voice barely audible.

"My father....he's never been present in my life."

He tried to put an I- don't- care persona but you could tell this was eating him up in the inside.

"There is no one on this earth that I hate more than that evil man. My mom and him were forced to get married to each other for family business purposes but he hated that idea. When I was still in kindergarten  he would bring random women over each and every day whilst my mother was present. Did he care... of course not. He's a selfish, greedy man who thinks that money can buy everything in life, including happiness. After Fiona's funeral, I promised myself that I will never end up being the man he is... but look at me now, doing the exact same thing he is doing."

His chestnut eyes drilled into the milkshake container in front of him.

"Hate sure is a strong word, don't you think? "