Chapter 22

Bennet's POV

Convinction and guilt. These were some of the emotions I was experiencing at the moment. As Pastor Toby of Evolution Church preached so passionately, I held onto each and every word coming out of his mouth, soaking it deep into my soul.

"How do you expect God to transform you and take you out of that sin when you invite it back into your life. How do you expect God to free you from a toxic relationship that doesn't bare good fruit when you still have that person's phone number and still text them 24/7."

The preacher's words brought silence to the holy building, everyone thinking deep at his thought-provoking question.

"Remember my fellow brothers and sisters, in order to keep a close relationship with Christ we need to live for Him and not for ourselves. Yey! Jesus Christ died on the cross for us but now it's time for you to do the same."

Moving away from the pulpit, he clasped his Bible and walked closer to us. You could see the genuine love and passion he had for Christ by the fire that burnt in his eyes. I wonder if God would ever fill me up with the same feeling?

"People love hearing that Jesus died for our sins but when they hear the other part of surrendering, they suddenly aren't that ecstatic anymore." He let out a chuckle in disbelief. "When they read their bible it's like they're shopping. They like this verse, they like this verse, they like that verse and they don't like this one because it controversal to today's culture."

"Amen!" Ms Bedford, who sat beside me, quietly praise. Closing her eyes in deep worship.

"And the problem starts there, people and culture may change but God will never. God will never change his character and morals so you can be comfortable and accepted by everyone. Jesus was never accepted by everyone but He was still loved by the Most High God. Would you rather be one with the world and judged by Christ or would you rather be one with Christ and judged by the world."

An overwhelming emotion overtook me and my eyes started to sting. A picture of Christ hanging on the Cross with thick nails going through his palms and feet flashed in my head. An innocent man who did nothing but have compassion for other , being mocked and spat on, blood dripping down his head from the crown of thorns.

"I'm so sorry Christ." I apologized, "I surrender my life to you. I need you Lord. I am desperate for you. There's a hunger and a thirst that only you can satisfy. I need you Heavenly Father."

Soft, steady tears streamed down my face as I looked at the Cross in front of the church. The more I tried to hold myself together, the greater the tears became and harder it was to stay inaudible.

"John 14:6 says," Everyone reached for their Bibles and turned to the given verse. " I am the way, the truth and the light. No one gets to the Father except through me."

"Jesus didn't say He's kind of the truth and one of the ways to get to the Father. He is that way and there's no other way. He is the truth and nothing but the truth. He is the light for He created it and is it."

The God-fearing man closed his Bible and looked around the temple of Christ that was filled with God fearing people. As his eyes roamed around they finally met mine which were bloodshot from crying.

"Christ so badly wants a relationship with us but if we keep giving in to temptation and turning to the ways of the world, our spiritual sensors get deactivated and we are unable to communicate with God through the Holy Spirit. And once we don't communicate with God , we make bad decisions which pull us into sin. And when we sin, he tend to hide from God because of shame."

His forest green eyes drilled into mine. "I would like to close off today by asking you one question. Are you living for the world or for God? Think about it clearly and your answer will determine whether you need to hand your life back to Christ or give it to Him for the first time."

A soothing silence fell upon the building, my heart thumbing from everything I had heard. It's so hard to accept how God can easily forgive me for all the wicked things I used to do. He watched every sin I committed yet He still chose to forgive me and gift me with salvation. Why? What did I do to deserve all this grace and love? What did I do to deserve the honour of being called a child of God?

"Thank you everyone for joining the sermon today and please stay blessed. If you've decided to accept Jesus into your life or give your life back to Him please come to the alter so we can pray for you. It doesn't matter if you're late for an appointment or whatever, this might be a moment that will forever change your life."

Many people got out of their seats and walked down to the alter. Children, teenagers, adults and the elderly all ready to give their life to Christ.

Jolting out of my seat, I was ready to follow the Lord. I was tired of living my selfish and materialistic life. I needed something more. I needed God.

"I surrender to you Lord!" I cried, "Do whatever you please with my life. I shall no live for myself but rather live for God."

As I walked down the alter, Elisha trailed behind me in tears. " I need you Lord." I cried out, ready for Him to take the lead.

At the baptism.

"Are you ready?" Asked Elisha standing beside me.

"More than ever." I gulped, seeing the line get shorter and shorter until I was at the front.

"I'm so proud of you and God is too." She gave me her signature smile that could light up the darkest days.

"You may come inside." A blonde woman who had striking ocean blue eyes instructed pointing to the huge tub of water waiting for me.

Taking a deep breath, I said a silent prayer and walked inside the church. The more steps I took, the more reality started to kick in. I was giving my life to Christ.

A whirlwind of emotions attacked me again and before I even got to the alter, I was already an emotional wreck. My hands trembling as loud sobs let my mouth.

"Hi, I'm Toby." The pastor introduced himself, extending his hand for me to shake.

"I'm Bennet." I managed to say between my sobs.

"Well Bennet, I just want you to know that God is so proud of this decision you've taken to give your life to him. There's silence on earth but the Heaven's are definitely roaring."

The man pointed to the tub, " You may go in whenever you ready."

Taking a deep breathe, I enter the water and chills went down my spine. The man placed his hand on my head and the other on my back. Looking around the now familiar building, I said the last silent prayer before I felt my body being submerged in the holy water.

And that was the day I full have myself Jesus. It will not longer be I who lives inside but Christ who lives in me.

***************************
HELLO BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

I HOPE YOU ENJOYED READING THIS CHAPTER AND THANK YOU SUCH FOR TAKING YOUR TIME TO READ IT.

STAY HEALTHY, BLESSED AND LOVED

(ʘᴗʘ✿)