Chapter 20

Elisha's POV:

The time is 4pm and we're all sitting together about to have dinner.My mom was sitting on my right and Bennet on my left. There was food spread all over the long, wooden table from roasted chicken with corn to salads, lamb and pumpkin pie, my least favourite. Everyone gathered around to say the Lord's prayer.

"Does anyone want to give thanks to the Lord?" Asked Uncle Shamiel who had gotten very fond of Ben.

"I'll do it." Offered Ben with his hands up.

I chuckled a bit at how he resembled a student wanting to ask a question in class but stopped once my mother gawked at me.

"Benny my man, take the stage."He proclaimed, giving Ben a slap on the back.

"May everyone close their eyes and hold hands." He said and we all did as instructed.

"Dear Heavenly Father, we come before you today to say thank you for blessings us with another day in your world. Thank you for blessings us with this feast of food and may you bless the hands that made it. Father we come to you to ask you to feed those who are less fortunate than us. You managed to multiple loaves of bread to feed 5 thousand people, so there is nothing you cannot do. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen."

"Amen!" Everyone praised together.

"Let us dig in." Announced my mom, clapping her hands in excitement.

Everyone grabbed their knife and fork and started digging into the mouth- watering meal. Chatter and laughter filled the vibrant room as everyone conversed with each other.

Stealing small occasional glances at the Bennet next to me, I noticed how all the fear and anxiety was replaced with cheerfulness. The way he freely spoke with everybody seemed like he had know them for many years and was a family friend. My heart tugged at the sight of him genuinely smiling after experiencing so much hardship the past few weeks.

"So Ben, can you tell us a little something about yourself." Asked Uncle Shamiel, dropping his utensils and shifting his focus on the young man.

"Yeah...maybe your name, where you were born and your nationality." Aunt Wendy butted in.

"And what you love doing." My mom added.

"Ok...." The interrogated male slightly pushed away his plate and got ready to answer all the awaited questions. "My name is Bennet Lorenzo Choi, I was born in Miami but moved to Washington DC because of schooling purposes. I'm half Italian half Korean and I love football and most importantly, God."

Aunt Wendy turned to my direction with an impressed grin. She dramatically pushed her curly hair behind her ear and gave me a wink, signalling that Bennet she like Bennet a lot.

"Are you close with your family?" Uncle Shamiel fired again, without hesitation this time.

"My mom passed away when I was 7 and my dad and I aren't that close. Its a very touchy story."

My mom's face instantly dropped and was filled with remorse. " I'm so sorry to hear that." She sympathize.

"Don't worry. Its not your fault at all." Reasoned Ben.

"Sorry to be this forward but can I ask, are you and Elisha perhaps dating ?" Aunt Wendy eagerly demanded for an answer.

It felt like this question had been lingering in her mind the whole day. From the moment, Bennet and I stepped through those doors, her eyes had been fixed on every movement we made. Even when we got to the dinner table, she forcefully moved Caleb from his seat so that Bennet could sit next to me.