Chapter 23

Bennet's POV

Two hours have gone by and I was still in my black, pickup truck watching the fields of corn pass by. After being baptized, Elisha and I decided to go back to the city since the following day was going to be a school day. Although I tried persuading her into skipping, she denied it before I even finished my heartfelt speech.

I looked over to Elisha sleeping peacefully. She had one of her arms placed above her head and the blocking her face so I wouldn't see her sleep.

A smile broke onto my lips as little snores left her mouth that was opened a little ajar. "You are so cute." I said softly, admiring the natural beauty she possessed.

"I think I wanna marry you." My lips pursed up at my sudden confession. "And I hope you want to marry me too."

Brushing some strands of hair away from her face, my thumb traced against delicate facial features, soaking in everything.

"Are we there yet?" Groaned the woken up female, struggling to fully open her eyes.

"No, I just decided to make a quick stop at my favourite place." I focused my attention back on the road.

"Where are we?" A yawned ecaped her mouth, her wild hair pointing in different directions.

"This is a secret beach my mom used to bring me to whenever I felt sad or troubled."

She swiftly unfastened her seat belt and leaned forward to get a glimpse of the unfamiliar place.  "Its so beautiful." She exclaimed in awe, her eyes never leaving the scene in front of her.

"Am I the first person you've brought here." Her round eyes sparkled with excitement.

"Yep." I simply nodded.

"Aww that is so cute. Thank you." She leaped into my arms, " This place is so beautiful."

The sunlight hit her bare, melanin skin making her face glow. Even without makeup she was still the most gorgeous girl I've ever seen.

"Do you want to get in the water."

I inquired.

"Let's do it."

"Race you."

I hoped out the car and bolted to the water.

"That's not fair, you got a head ."

She complained right behind me.

"Well you better stop complaining and start running Chubs."

I reached the water first and did a little victory dance.

"Winner winner chicken dinner."

"You cheated."

"And you lost."

"Cheaters never succeed."

"And you are as athletic as a leaf."

"I hate being shorter than you. You can take more strides than me."

"Trust me there is an advantage to being taller."

"What is it?"

"Everytime I hug you, you can hear my heart which beats only for you."

She looked at me in confusion. I didn't know if I should lie and tell her it was a joke or if I should really confess. Listening to my gut I did what it said.

"I love you."

"What!"

"I said I love you."

I repeated nervously.

"I love you too but as a friend."

"Elisha you don't get it. I'm in love with you."

"No that's not possible."

"Yes it is. I've loved you since the day we had our first conversation at the pizza place. I've loved you even more as the days went by."

I grabbed a small bracelet out of my pocket, which I had bought for her many weeks ago.

"Bennett don't..."

"Elisha Bedford, please may you be my girlfriend."

She stared at me with both hands covering her mouth.

"I don't know what to say."

"Listen to your heart."

"Bennett I can't."

She pushed bracelet for her away. Never had such a little action caused so much pain to me.

"Why?"

I asked.

"Bennett you deserve a beautiful girl who will be your ride or die. A girl who will be by your side through thick and thin no matter the circumstances."

"Why can't that girl be you."

"Because I'm scared of your love Bennet. I'm scared of me breaking your heart or you breaking mine. I don't want to wake up and check my phone everyday for a message that isn't there. I don't want to be haunted by the great memories we once shared together."

"What are you talking about."

"Bennet most people date then break up. I don't want to be one of those people. You'll be traveling, playing football and I'll be in the medical field, savings kids lives. We both will be too busy and not have time for each other."

"We'll figure something out."

"Its not worth it."

"Elisha just stop. Stop making up crazy scenarios just because you're scared of falling in love. If you continue to stop yourself from feeling this feeling, you will never experienced the joy of loving someone more than yourself but less than God."

"I don't want a repetition of Samuel."

Her voice was weak and vulnerable.

"Don't worry. I will never hurt you."

"Sorry but I can't Bennet. I don't want to take that risk."

"Its fine, I'll respect your feelings and leave you alone. But do you know why I'll leave you alone from now on... because I care more about your feelings than mine."

I gulped a large lump that was in my throat. My heart broke into a million tiny pieces that will never be glued back together. Rejection was a hard and painful pill to swallow but i swallowed it anyway.

"Can we please go back in the car."

She asked already leading the way.

************************
Hello beautiful people ✝️
I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS CHAPTER AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING IT. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE HAPPEN AND DON'T FORGET TO PRESS THAT LITTLE STAR AT THE BOTTOM.

STAY BLESSED, HEALTH AND POSITIVE.

( ˘ ³˘)♥