Chapter 13

Bennet's POV:

Today was one rainy, dark day with flashes of lightning constantly reappearing. The weather was doing a great job representing how I was feeling at the moment. Just depressed and dull.

Laying on the couch, I stared at the white ceiling. Its so funny how you can feel like the king of the world then a peasant the next day. My bible was laying on my chest opened to Jeremiah. I had been reading it for the last 30 minutes but nothing's going in. I felt nothing but loneliness.

Coach has been benching me for the last five games telling me to get my head in the game. How can I when everything in life is spiralling out of control. I feel like I'm drowning in my sorrows and no one is willing to help me.

"God wants to punish me for all my evil deeds, doesn't he?"

I silently thought to myself.

I've prayed so many times for him to ease the pain. To forgive me for my sins but nothing. Nothing happens. Im still in the same place and waiting for Him to make a change.

The sudden knock of the door pulled me out of my thoughts and brought me back to reality.

"Coming!"

I screamed, getting off the couch to open the door. I gently placed the Bible on the coffee table and galloped to the door.

"Hi Gemma"

I greeted, disappointment evident on my face. I was hoping it would be Elisha with her breathtaking smile. But then I remembered that she didn't know where I live.

"Hey," she displayed all her teeth,"I just wanted to check on you. Is everything okay. Can I come in."

"Yeah." I moved to the side, allowing her to enter.

"You haven't been yourself lately and it shows on the field."

She confessed, inspecting every inch of my body.

"Football is the least of my worries right now."

I let out a deep sigh and plumped myself on the couch.

"Do you want to talk about it."

She sat besides me and grabbed my hand to comfort me.

"No" I stood up and created some distance between us." I'll get over it."

My action of moving away hurt her a bit because of the way her head dropped and her smile faded.

"Its her isn't it?"

She whispered.

"Who?"

I questioned.

"Elisha." Her head snapped, "Who else would it be?"

"What are you talking about."

My brows furrowed as I looked at her being jealous for no reason.

"Ever since she popped in the picture we barely talk anymore. You barely call me. You don't look at me the way you used to. You don't look at any other girl for that fact." She walked forward me and caressed my face,"You love her, don't you."

"I don't know what your talking about?"

I pushed her hands away and grabbed the remote to switch on the TV. I really didn't want to have this conversation.

"Bennet why do you hate me so much. Why do you keep shutting me out?"

She complained.

"I don't hate you Gemma," I responded, "but I also don't have romantic feelings for you."